• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Penturners get no respect

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I'm not suggesting that you charge £100 for them, I'm just trying to illustrate how you can can alter something's perceived value. :wink:

I live in one of the poorest areas of England (the North East), so I know what you mean about no money locally. Cornwall has a good influx of tourists every year - is there no way you could tap into that market?

I agree with that, I'm in the North East as well and always seemed to be cash flowing in Cornwall when I've been there, even if it is only in the holiday season. If someone told me my £10 pen was too expensive, not that I'd ever sell one for £10, I would tell them to go and buy a Bic for a quid. Anyone who would say that just isn't worth listening to, it's ignorant and offensive imo. Maybe you're looking at the wrong target market Tom :thinks:

Whereabouts in the North east are you Melanie? I'm just North of Morpeth.

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Hi Bob, there seem to be a few people on the forum from this part of the world. I'm in Washington. :waver:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
One time I received advice from an exclusive vendor who said never be anything but proud to sell your product, never price it using your own values, for example raising six kids and providing for eight gave me a totally reduced choice of purchase that influenced me. I wore red jumpers for years they were always on sale at the end of the season.

When you state the price, try not to be anything but matter of fact after all you put the price on the item for some reason.

I have spoken about a mate who used to charge 60 dollars for his bud vases made from superior burl and very expensive timbers. He was always thinking the sales were down maybe he was too dear. One day after giving him my two bobs worth re pricing and presentation I stood in his stall and doubled the price, talked to the buyers using some detail of the real value of each individual piece, sold a number of them.They now sell for 600 dollars.

His document boxes were a few hundred they now are around fifteen thousand, they were snapped up by entrepeneurs and resold in the USA for double.

Worked for him.

Peter.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
I'm in Annfield Plain, just along the road from you Melanie. This is a good thread Walter.
I've heard. Most of these non customer comments many times & frankly I couldn't care less because they don't intend buying anyway, they are just knockers. Nimrod mentioned traditionalists, the holier than though, must do it this way brigade. I just ignore them. As for real turning I've been a real turner professionally turning up to 8':0" diameter which is more than they've probably done. I'm not a penmaker, I'm a turner who makes pens along with numerous other things & I enjoy it. Pens have become the major source of fundraising for my charity which you all know as you have helped a lot.
I take pride in everything I make & I give great attention to detail with my making & finishing.
A few simple questions put to them in front of other prospective buyers can soon show how much they don't know & it won't be long before they move on.
When I said I couldn't care less what I really meant was I couldn't give a shit what they think as they are in the minority anyway.
God this is the longest letter I've written in a long time. Over & out.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Spot on Bill :thumbs:

There are gobsh*tes and knockers in all walks of life.

I had a guy yesterday came to look at possibly buying my MILs car which is in my drive at the minute, He spent more than half an hour jabbering on about how he'd built his own house and builders were nearly all on the take and cr*p, before he asked what I previously did for a living. When I told him he very suddenly went very quiet :funny: I did a bit of probing and he had actually employed an architect who project managed his build and a builder to construct it. All he did was select a kitchen and bathroom.
He had also mentioned that he was a friend of the local building inspector but when I said I had taught the guy at college he changed the subject. Why do they do it :chuckle:
Dozy twit made a sharp embarrassed exit so I probably lost a sale of the car. :whistling:

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
I said to one such customer that this was my last fair and that I was selling all my turning equipment if he was interested, I didn't realise he had a stutter until that moment and the speed he disappeared at was very impressive.

Robin

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
I guess I am lucky as no one has made any comments on my pens (yet) but then again I do not sell many pens at craft fares but the pens are there along with my wife's crafts and my photography but although we have been doing craft fares for over 20 years in the last 5 years often we don't get enough money to cover the stall and the fuel so we have given up on attending a lot of fares. I am not a professional turner but enjoy what I do but send my pens out to craft shops for sale and return mostly and like trying different things I Will give my pens out as gifts though, so if anyone passed negative remarks I would not care much but would explain that I enjoy making the pens and if they can do better then I would look forward to see their results.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I clearly remember the magnificent photograph up the Glen you shared with us it was IMHO a masterpiece. So you are one penmaker who earned my respect.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Thank you Peter that is kind of you to remember. It is plus and minuses up here we are surrounded by beautiful landscapes and wildlife but have the lowest density of population in the UK so not many folk to sell pens to. Must learn this web stuff if I want to sell more.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
You will have no trouble try the American market through Etsy there are like everywhere including us over here a preponderous number of Scottish descent you will be The Monarch Of The Glen. It just started raining welcome with bush fires around reminded me of arriving in Edinburgh.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).