• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Perfume atomizer made with pallet wood

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
I like making these little things but there is just something about the finished product. Not sure what it is.

Anyway; a perfume atomizer made from pallet wood. I also made a pen from the same wood.

P3080257.jpg

P3080260.jpg

P3080259.jpg

P3080263.jpg

This last one is me playing around with backgrounds in my new light box.

P3080282.jpg

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
A nice little piece Simon. Pallets from abroad are often made from beautiful timber because it is plentiful where the pallets are made so it pays to check.:thumbs:

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
A nice little piece Simon. Pallets from abroad are often made from beautiful timber because it is plentiful where the pallets are made so it pays to check.:thumbs:

The pallet did have sheet steel on it and it was from abroad. They were going to burn it :vangry:. I gave them my phone number and asked them to ring me if they get anymore.

lignaterrae

99% sure the wood is mango. It varies from off white through grey to brown and black and all shades in between. It spalts easily. Most often found in pallets from India where the trees are cut down and the wood used after their fruiting years are over.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Simon which way is up or does it matter when opening? A change of design at the top and compare them plenty of room to experiment mate might answer your question. In the meantime a special present.

Peter.

iandel

First Name
Ian
99% sure the wood is mango. It varies from off white through grey to brown and black and all shades in between. It spalts easily. Most often found in pallets from India where the trees are cut down and the wood used after their fruiting years are over.

I agree that it is mango. Coincidentally I posted a picture of a Knurl GT pen in curly Mango today and it looks very similar.

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Thanks for the comments.
On the next one I will change the design on the top. I am thinking of using chunky wood and make it look like a traditional perfume bottle. Think Egyptian vase.
Having looked at pictures of Jarah, and comparing it with the wood I have left, Jarah is redder. It does however look very similar to Mango.

Simon

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
I agree that it is mango. Coincidentally I posted a picture of a Knurl GT pen in curly Mango today and it looks very similar.

Looking at your beautiful pen confirms that the wood is Mango. The speckling type pattern is the same as a pen I made.
Thanks to everyone for identifying the wood, and for the feedback

P1050210.JPG

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).