• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Peter Childs has closed down

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I was looking for an adapter for a Patriot chuck and my first port of call is always Peter Childs having bought 3 Patriots from them, I couldn't understand why they had a link to Turners Retreat and then I clicked on their home page and was quite saddened. They have been a brilliant company.

Peter

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
:thinks:.. Looks like they have been brought out by turners retreat.. :thinks:

Another one bites the dust..sad times and always difficult.

I only used them once recently but know my dad used them allot.

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
I was looking for an adapter for a Patriot chuck and my first port of call is always Peter Childs having bought 3 Patriots from them, I couldn't understand why they had a link to Turners Retreat and then I clicked on their home page and was quite saddened. They have been a brilliant company.

Peter

I understand items such as pyrography machines are now to be manufactured by Robert Sorby, hence the link to Turners Retreat, Robert Sorby are promising to stich with the same standards or improve on what Peter Childs did.

Chisel_Wizz

Apprentice Member
First Name
Graeme
Sad to hear, I got one of their pyrography machines earlier this year and am very happy with it. Strange to think it could be one of the last made by them.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have often Teased Richard Raffan about Childs he was pen friendly and Richard says he would die never having made a pen. The Child family have been leaders in Woodwork.

Peter.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
That is a shame, I've been using them for over 25 years, before Internet they were the closest supplier to me ..

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Peter Childs the man, was a leading and well respected turner before his untimely death. His family carried on his business and over the years have been there in the background, quietly helping and supplying, without all the shouting and vast marketing machine that some of the larger mainstream suppliers employ nowadays. Their pyrography machine is possibly the leading one in Europe, and they were gifted innovators in many other areas too. Here's another one - the hotmelt glue chuck. How many times has that simple little piece if kit helped me out of a hole?!!

I for one am very sorry to see them go. As a smaller supplier I doubt their disappearance will make much difference to their competitors, but it is a measure of their importance that the great beast that is Robert Sorby should want to carry on their products and name.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Full marks for Robert Sorby. They have spent recourses as far as Australia sending bfactory demo people to the right places .

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).