• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Phoenix Electric Green

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
Another Phoenix pen from Woodturningz, in gunmetal. The blank is a Rhino called Electric Green. Another nice looking Rhino blank. I have rarely been disappointed by them.

Attachments

• done08.JPG
    done08.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 44
  • done09.JPG
    done09.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 43
  • done10.JPG
    done10.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 43
  • done11.JPG
    done11.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 45
  • done01.JPG
    done01.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 42
  • done04.jpg
    done04.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 42
  • done06.JPG
    done06.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 44
  • done05.JPG
    done05.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 43

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
I have been using dry coarse sandpaper on my last few pens, for final shaping. It makes it easier to get the blank to the bushing diameter on the ends, which pleases the OCD side of me. It's also easier to form the final shape of the body. It does work better on more brittle blanks, like Woodshed and Rhino. I am a little worried, though, that this will make the bushings smaller. I don't turn all that many pens, and haven't noticed any problems yet. I will keep an eye on the bushings, and measure them periodically with a digital caliper. The first photo is after 120 grit, the second is after 240, and the third is after wet sanding with 320, 400, and 500. The last photo is after final polishing.

And, of course, the forum has mixed up my photos again. I don't know why it does that sometimes. Moderators? The third photo is 120, the second is 240, and the first is after wet sanding.

Attachments

• sanded01.jpg
    sanded01.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 41
  • sanded02.jpg
    sanded02.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 42
  • sanded03.jpg
    sanded03.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 42
  • polished01.jpg
    polished01.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 41

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Jim I knock my bushings down to avoid sanding or CA,ing them and like you caliper anyway saves me grief.

Love the pen mate.

Peter.

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
A nice pen and very green. I worried about the bushings and then as a result of something on here I took to using some home made cones for the final sanding and finishing using calipers as suggested. It does seem to work for me.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

And, of course, the forum has mixed up my photos again. I don't know why it does that sometimes. Moderators? The third photo is 120, the second is 240, and the first is after wet sanding.

That is not something that has ever happened to my photos, they have always appeared in the same order as I uploaded them.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).