• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

photography setup

stevenw1963

Bodger supreme
Fellow
South Lanarkshire - Another tyke in exile
First Name
Steven
That's the same one I have Alan, decent bit of kit for the money & easy to use & hide away. It probably would stand up to the rigours of professional or everyday use but I am more than happy with mine for what I'll use it for.
I would suggest using a tripod with your camera if you don't already.
A cracking first pic is that tho.

Alanp

Registered
First Name
ALAN
the build quality looks fine the tent packs flat so should be able to pack all away easily

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
It looks good, but it is a little light, nothing that a quick tweak wouldn't put right. You have a good teacher in Vic.

Sorry, I was looking at it on the laptop and the screen wasn't at the right angle, It's spot on exposure wise.

Peter

Bloody hell that is exactly what happen to , cant wait till I get the desk puter fixed.

AllenN

Fellow
First Name
Allen
Depth of focus is quite straight forward really if a little perverse. The camera lens has a adjustable hole in it called the aperture. It changes the amount of light that reaches the sensor. Physics also shows that any lens can only focus between two distances, the near focus point and the far focus point. Outside of that the image is a little blurred. The distance between these focus points is the depth of field. The smaller the hole ( aperture) the wider apart are those two distances. So if you focus on say the middle of the pen, you really need both ends of the pen between the two distances. Now if the pen is sideways on that's easy, but the picture does not look so good. If the pen is at a slight angle to the camera then the nib and the finial end are going to be different distances from the camera. To get both ends in focus you need to make the aperture smaller and this has the effect of widening the two distance between the two points of focus. Now the perverse bit. The size of the aperture is measured in f numbers. f2.8, f3.5 etc. Contrary to what one might expect, f3.5 is a bigger hole than f8. I know it sounds daft but that's physics for you. To get a bigger depth of field you need a smaller hole so set the camera at f8, f11 or something like that.
Right at the start I said that the size of the aperture controlled the amount of light reaching the sensor, so with a smaller aperture you need to increase the shutter speed to compensate for the reduced amount of light. So not say 1/60 second but maybe 1/20 or even longer. To do this you need the camera on a tripod or something otherwise camera shake will blur the whole picture.
Set the camera on aperture priority if you can and the camera meter will sort the shutter speed to match the aperture you set. Increasing the iso speed of the sensor can also help. It doesn't change the depth of field but in allows a faster shutter speed which reduces the chance of camera shake if you have to hold the camera.
Hope this helps.
Allen

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Thanks for the explanation Alan. I genuinely did not have a clue what Depth of Focus was. As I explained to you when we spoke I am no photographer but I just follow the basic principles that Terry took me through. All this adjusting f values and shutter speeds scare me to death mate. I think I will just stick with my very basic Point and Shoot camera and thank the Lord for Photoshop.

Cheers

Vic

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
For a long time now we have watched as pic taking improves over all it is pleasing watching each one finding their way.

Peter.:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).