• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

plaster borad in a shed, would it work?

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Hi

Recently I have been gifted a 10'x12' Only (6' tall) steel shed. My intention is to raise it to 7' and line the inside with 3"x2" batons. An electrician friend is going to put in plug sockets etc.

Would plaster board be suitable to line the inside or would it just soak up moisture? I have looked at OSB, Plywood etc which will work out very expensive. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
Simon

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
I wouldn't go with Plasterboard Simon, I think plywood would be better, it does not have to be OSB, Google for different grades of plywood. With plywood you have a fixing anywhere on the wall (apart from where cables are of course) I wish I had a shed. :goesred:

mattkemp

First Name
matt
I have just insulated and boarded my shed out i managed to get hold of second sheets of plywood heavily reduced due to slight water mark damage or corners knocked i think they was about £12 a board for 12mm thick plus vat. It was the cheapest way i found and my thoughts was plywood would last better but its just my opinion.

Matt

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
There are 2 types of plasterboard; the ordinary and the hydrofuged ie one gets wet with condensation , the other not. You can tell, the inside of one is white (ordinary) the other green, (hydrofuge) one is designed for normal house interiors (well ventilated) the other for bathrooms etc. If you clad your shed first with a good vertical layer insulation like gyproc with a metal framed stud system and hydrofuge plasterboard you shouldn't have a problem (just make sure that you put ventilation holes appropriately) then joint and paint according to the instructions, it will work. I've done 3 houses that way the last being my current one with no damp proof course and 60 cm thick stone walls which love condensation.

If you use plywood you will still have to use hydrofuged plywood very simply because steel sheds will invite condensation from you, from your paraffin/gas heaters and all sorts of moisture laden things that you put in inc your cups of tea and the occasional visiting wife to nag you about the lawn!!.

PG

PS why else would they use plasterboard in a house instead of plywood? And you can hang your plywood tool boards from it quite easily .

Last edited:

woodhacker

Fellow
First Name
Peter also been called many others
Pierre has it nailed. I have an 8x8 metal shed for storing ladders etc and the condensation is bad. I had to put a tarp on the underside of the roof to divert the water into a bucket.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Stone walls are unfamiliar over here also the humidity factor is higher your way. There have been many sheds and additions built. Jim the former owner of the forum also went into this thoroughly when he built. Ask around in your area especially what suits a tin shed, I would go past 7 feet in height because I would be feeling awful. I chose our present house for 9 feet ceilings. Eight feet is the minimum for houses our way for good reason.Most plywood is eight feet.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I have seen many shed lined with Gyprock, the type you use for ceilings, help line a few as well.
The one that I have been back too still look good apart from normal war and tear.
Hind sight I wish I line m shed when I built it.:sob:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).