• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Please be nice!!

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Right i have seen so many of these i thought it cant be that hard....wrong. This has been a good learning curve and i am happy with my first but i think i can improve a lot...c&c welcome and further advice also...20160816_175638.jpg
I used Gorrilla PVA glue and didnt get as good a bond as i would have liked...so i will change that....
A little more time in assembling the blank to reduce gapping would also help....
I did sand the corners off to stop catches which helped before turning....but no sanding after to avoid colour shifts....
Anything else??:thinks:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Looks good to me Mark. Then what do i know..?

As you say, bigger gaps between some but to be honest I don't believe it detracts from the finish.

If anything I would have probably tried to separate the blues and green, the red and orange just because they are close colours and to me don't belong next to each other.

That's just me.

But you have done an excellent job op and it's all down to personal taste.

Then again some may not like my mix and think they need to be together just like yours..:tongue:

Well done.

johnny5

Registered
Mark the blank looks extremely difficult to create, well done for attempting it ,
well executed, your second third and fourth attempt will only get easier , well done

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
That's a grand job Mark. I had a go at a pencil bowl which is much easier than what you have done and mine was a right disaster. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It looks great and as you say if you can get the spacing sorted you will be much happier with it, you can also use sanding sealer if you want to sand, but you have to keep applying it as you sand it off, it stops the colours from bleeding into the wood, but you have done that great without sanding sealer:thumbs:

Peter

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
It looks great and as you say if you can get the spacing sorted you will be much happier with it, you can also use sanding sealer if you want to sand, but you have to keep applying it as you sand it off, it stops the colours from bleeding into the wood, but you have done that great without sanding sealer:thumbs:

Peter

Top tip that Peter thank you....will try on my next!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I liken your pen to diamonds proof always quality when it appears great shows great, in your case varied showing differences, appears great worthy challenge.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).