• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Poll: Let the forum decide. Kit quality.

Which kit is the best quality

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Brian asked me to copy and paste this comment that I wrote under another thread about the Empress pen, havent caught up with this thread yet as I ve been away so dont know the precise relevance other than Brian is probably having another bash at our Chinese friends and their inability to produce a good kit!

Anyway, this is what I wrote on Pauls thread about the Empress:

I have some of these kits so am equally guilty of deluding the manufacturer that they have created a masterpiece by creating a demand for this kit. I bought several when TB launched it as the Spring Blossom (I think it was) and then Axminster launched it as the Empress, the difference being that Axminster launched it as both a FP and a RB whereas TB did only as a RB and also the Axminster model had that plastic thing on the end of the clip.

I have to say that the kit has the design finesse of a motorway pile up. Take for example the clip, it says it all. The inset brass coloured bling thing fits looselywithin the punched recess on the clip itself which has no design style whatsoever. it is a flat piece of cheap material, badly coated and simply folded. The design concept for the top of the pen was obviously taken from a baked bean can, the cylinder that it is, is featureless and poorly coated further highlighting its lack of styling and quality. The brassy blingy bits are cheap pressings that lack fine detail and look like a five year olds efforts with play doh.

The plating redefines abysmal, similes nor metaphors not required, simply awful.

To cap it all the pen was launched, and TB refused to market the Fountain Pen, as the internal bore on the pen was too narrow to take a cartridge, who was the designer? Homer Simpson?

The nib section of the Roller ball looks like it came from the head of a medieval arrow tip, designed to penetrate the body and not come out without causing maximum damage.

The pen as a whole has the design flair of a police truncheon and is equally good as a writing implement.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Neil. Thank you for that and the colourful phrasing, I do hope you chirp up again and encourage others to do so.

I think by now everyone knows that kit 1 is the Emperor, Kit 2 is the Empress and way out in front, deservedly so is, Kit3 the Roman Harvest.

The RH was no better than the other kits, until David from Timberbits took it under his wing and evolved it to be the kit it is today, My opinion only but it knocks spots off anything available to us.
If you want a quality kit this is the best available although there is still room for further improvement and he does a blingless version, I have one if you wanna pic of it.
I would still like to see the plastic thread gone from the cap, I can't remember his reason for leaving it, perhaps Neil or someone may expand on that, perhaps it's an engineering thing or machine setup costs maybe.
I won't go into prices as they can change at a whim and other costs can be involved in getting it to you from anywhere.

This example goes to show that the manufacturers can be made to listen and adapt to demand, albeit at a cost but as has already been said you get what you pay for, or at least you should.

The people who so far have commented all know these kits and are fully aware of what they are getting but some of you newbies don't.
How do you feel about coming into this hobby and what do you foresee yourself doing / making, what do you want from it quality wise?
Your thoughts on the matter please.

Please continue to add your votes nw the kits have been named you can do your own research on them.

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
I have to agree but to counter that, if those titanium or rhodium plated kits seem to last reasonably well, is it unreasonable to expect all plating's to do so?

Up to a point no it is not unreasonable to have such an expectation except in so far as the inherent differences in the hardness of the plating make some variation inevitable. 24k gold is never going to be as durable as titanium. But then one has to ask why use 24k gold? 10k (and a thicker plating) would make far more sense (to the end user) and only add pennies to the cost.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
The reason they give for the plastic thread is if both parts were made of metal then the plating would soon wear off with metal on metal but plastic on metal the plating will last a lot longer and to me that makes sense

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The reason they give for the plastic thread is if both parts were made of metal then the plating would soon wear off with metal on metal but plastic on metal the plating will last a lot longer and to me that makes sense

Once again I have to agree that does make sense, my counter to that is don't plate those parts. A nice piece of brass on both threads would look superb unplated and work so much nicer together.
NEXT.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
So we would end up with a chrome plated pen with a brass threaded bit on both ends wouldn't work for me also an old point that is made a lot the brass would oxidise and need polishing another way to wear out the plating

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
So we would end up with a chrome plated pen with a brass threaded bit on both ends wouldn't work for me also an old point that is made a lot the brass would oxidise and need polishing another way to wear out the plating

Quite right dad excuse me just got back from pub not finkin straight init?
OK accepted for now but I would still not like to have plastic threads in the cap.
Can you think of a workaround?
I actually came back to edit my last post but you had already replied. LOL.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Quite right dad excuse me just got back from pub not finkin straight init?
OK accepted for now but I would still not like to have plastic threads in the cap.
Can you think of a workaround?
I actually came back to edit my last post but you had already replied. LOL.

Plastic as you know mate has been used on pens for years and still going strong I think the problem is more to do with the thickness and the quality of the plastic that is used another answer would stainless steel kits not chrome no plating needed so all the parts could then be metal but the price would rocket then we would all complain that we cant afford them LOL

mattyts

Registered
Plastic is fine but on kits like the ones displayed above and JR Gents,the plastic is very thin,coupled with fine,multi start threads,brass parts and sometimes a heavy handed user,its a recipe for disaster.

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Hi Grump
I did realise that your comments were kinda tongue in cheek hoping for a response. :wink:
I find it hard to write a response, I would rather talk to someone and get a verbal reaction.
I think it is good we have all these smilies and can 'talk' without causing offence.
@Peter when I voted yesterday, I checked the results and my name was first on the list. However after you mentioned I wasn't registered I checked and sure enough you were correct ' no me':rolling: however when I try to vote the page says 'You have already voted in this poll' so I don't know what went wrong :nooidea:

take care
Don W

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
However after you mentioned I wasn't registered I checked and sure enough you were correct ' no me' however when I try to vote the page says 'You have already voted in this poll' so I don't know what went wrong

Hmmm Maybe Jim could could have a gander for ya init?.

Jim Jim Jim so handsome and slim, you are a prince among men.
Can you shed some light on Mr Watson's plight.
He has a spot of bother now and then.

Jim

Grand Master
@Peter when I voted yesterday, I checked the results and my name was first on the list. However after you mentioned I wasn't registered I checked and sure enough you were correct ' no me':rolling: however when I try to vote the page says 'You have already voted in this poll' so I don't know what went wrong

Hmmm Maybe Jim could could have a gander for ya init?.

When i took a look at the voters i clearly see that Don has cast his vote for Kit 3 .. My assistance is not needed around here gentlemen ... :wink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
When i took a look at the voters i clearly see that Don has cast his vote for Kit 3 .. My assistance is not needed around here gentlemen ... :wink:

What???????????????
Jew mean I wracked my tiny brain to come with a brilliant poem for you all for nuffink???????????????

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I won't put my four penorth in on this as I think there has been enough said on the topic.

However, that said. In my oppinion you need to see, feel and touch the pens to get the feel of the quality of the pens. That's something you don't get from a picture and I think you will agree Brian.

But when you feel the pen you can't feel the difference in the thickness of the plating, so you have to believe the manufacturer that it is what they are selling.

But I would like to see allot more than 22 forum members vote when we have quite a few more..

When it closes I will also share a few things with you about why I have voted for the kit 1

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I would like to see more than 22 votes too Eamonn but we can't make people vote. init?
Look forward to your fourpenny bis at the close.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
I voted, but have never made any of these kits, and so far, have no intention of doing so.
My vote was cast by the evidence available only. There is much to say about being able to touch and feel the kit, but as mentioned, that will give no indication of the plating quality.
The problem I have is that all these kits seem to be aimed at the personal taste of African or Middle East dictators!
Regardless of the quality of the kit, the manufacturers seem to think that the better the kit is, the more ghastly tasteless decoration they must put on it!
Why can't we have a quality kit that can be dressed in an appropriate modest way to show of the sympathetic skill of the maker?
Only my opinion.
Regards,
Neil

Kawakers

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
I've never turned any of these kits as I'm very new to turning, but I voted for 2 simply because I like the look of silver compared to gold

brody2123

Fellow
First Name
Brody
I've never turned any of these kits as I'm very new to turning, but I voted for 2 simply because I like the look of silver compared to gold

Fair point, I've only ever turned one of the three. Wecome aboard by the way. Why don't you pop in and introduce yourself :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
The pure size and weight puts many people off buying these kits, i have a couple of guys who buys pens from me for every occasion that goes off in their families life, but will not buy any other pen than my slimlines .. The cheapest kit we buy in .. :pray:

Welcome to the forums Kawakers .. :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).