• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Polymer Clay "Agate" ballpoint pen

KMCloonan

First Name
Kevin
I am just getting started with Polymer Clay, and I watched a lot of YouTube videos on the subject. I saw a technique I really liked, so I gave it a try. It did not turn out nearly as nice as the one on the video, but I am encouraged nonetheless.

Comments, critiques welcome.

004.JPG

006.JPG

KMCloonan

First Name
Kevin
Would you be able to gave a bit of insight how you made your pen?
I'm happy to share.

I stumbled on this method while researching polymer clay on Youtube. I will post a link to the video at the end of my post. Technically, the video is about making Jewelry, but when I saw an intermediary step, I instantly knew I wanted to make a pen like what I saw on the screen. I have not achieved my goal, but it wasn't too bad.

First, I created a thin strip of clay with a gradient of gray at one end and white at the other. The strip was about 3cm wide and about 30cm long. I rolled up the clay strip starting with the white end, and ending with the gray - this left white in the middle, and gray on the outside. I then wrapped this roll in a thin single layer of Black clay. Once I wrapped it in the black, I rolled the roll back and forth, gradually stretching it into a longer, smaller diameter tube. I then cut thin slices of from the tube, and placed them onto a small thin sheet of white-ish clay. I cut off a section of this black roll, and rolled it smaller yet, and then filled in some of the gaps between larger circles with smaller circles. You can see the photos below.
001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

I then rolled the sheet of clay to make it more uniform thickness. Unfortunately, this stretched the circles, making them larger than I wanted, but there was no turning back.
004.JPG 005.JPG

I then used a "cookie cutter" that is made for a specific pen tube size, and cut a piece from the sheet. I scuffed a brass tube, and then carefully rolled the piece onto the tube. It took a little massaging to smoosh the soft clay around to close the seam between the 2 ends. Once the clay seemed to be on the tube properly, I put it onto a simple fixture I rigged from some "T-Track" pieces and a piece of solid copper wire to hang the blank in the toaster oven. I didn't want the blank to sit on the wire rack in the oven, as I was concerned they would imprint on the soft clay.
Oven.jpg
I put the blank in the oven for about 20 minutes at 135C. I took it out, and let it cool a little while, then threw it on the lathe and gently turned it using a carbide negative rake pen tool.

I then sanded as per usual, and applied multiple coats of CA glue, polished with micro mesh, and called it a day.

Below is a link to the video where I first saw this technique. You can fast forward to the 3:08 mark to see this part of the video.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).