• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Porridge Spirtles and Honey Dippers

broadsea

First Name
John
Just a quick question....what finishes can be used on porridge spirtles and honey dippers. I have food safe finish but was looking for something else. Also how much do you charge for these. A local shp is selling them for £3, but I think they are just made of pine.........

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I'd have left them unfinished, wooden kitchen spoons, spatulas etc don't have a finish on them.
You could oil them but that finish won't last long with modern detergents, probably your best bet would be Treatex oil but I doubt that would last prolonged washing cycles.
Could you tell if the ones in your local shop had a finish on them I've seen some that look like they just been burnished with wood shavings, it gave a nice lustre.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Just leave unfinished. After sanding give them a rub with a damp cloth to raise the grain & when dry cut back with your finest grit to a finish. This should stop the grain from raising again when washed.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
No finish needed beech would be the recommended wood and it will naturally kill bacteria finish as Bill said and you wont have any problems

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Be careful of vegetable oils they can go rancid and you wouldn't want bowls, cutting boards, spoons and the like smelling or tasting of rancid oil.

Peter

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I have made and sold hundreds of bloody spurtles in my time. I am sick of spurtles.

The comments above about there being no need to apply a finish are perfectly true from a practical, culinary point of view. However, I find they sell better when they have a finish because the look better on the shelf that way.

I make them from beech and finish them to 240 grit, then dunk them in a bath of vegetable oil for a few minutes. I then take them out and stand them up in a plastic tub to run off and dry over night, then give them a quick wipe over in the morning with tissue paper. The result is lasting and nice looking sheen, which sets them apart from the Chinese copy-turned imports that you find in all the woolen mills and tacky gift shops. I sell them for £7.95 each. Well, actually I don't, I put them in the shops and they sell them for £7.95 each, so I get less than that, but they are a good, saleable "in" if you're trying to get your foot in the door in a new retail outlet.

I hope that helps John.

5efdc4cafcad.jpg

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Stick a refill in the handle end and you have a dual tool or an entry for the next competition:thumbs:

Peter

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Be careful of vegetable oils they can go rancid and you wouldn't want bowls, cutting boards, spoons and the like smelling or tasting of rancid oil.

Peter
With respect Peter, that is not correct. The whole point of vegetable oil is that it is a food safe oil that does not go rancid. Which is why manufactures of wooden kitchen utensils recommend it to season their products - chopping boards, spoons etc. Olive oil, I agree, but not vegetable oil.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
When I've turned kitchen utensils & finished them as I said earlier in the thread I just burnish them with a handful of shavings to give them a sheen.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
With respect Peter, that is not correct. The whole point of vegetable oil is that it is a food safe oil that does not go rancid. Which is why manufactures of wooden kitchen utensils recommend it to season their products - chopping boards, spoons etc. Olive oil, I agree, but not vegetable oil.

Disagree all you like, vegetable oil can go rancid and it is not nice when it does.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).