• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pratchet kit thread size

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Hi Guys
Does any one know what the thread sizes are for the Pratchet nib section and the Click section.
I bought a number of these kits when they first came to market. I have made up a number of them only to find I can not screw the nib section on or I can not screw the click part in.
I have at least four kits that have not worked some of them you can pull the components out of the tube by hand after seating them.
Has any one used any of these kits lately I am thinking that they may of not quite got it right with the early kits. I can sell them people like them but its cost me money up to now with lost sales.
If I can find out what the thread is I can tap them out my self and recover them. (May be)

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Dan Smith aka Taylor Mirfield used to be a member on here and I think Alex Bellringer was his machinist on the Shakespeare kits, not sure on the Pratchet... You may get a quicker response if you message Dan via Facebook or TM directly..... Personally I stopped doing the Shakespeare and not tried a Pratchet, I import a SS kit from the US :whistling:

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
I decided to cut my losses and stop stressing over it. I have binned all the Pratchet kits and wont be doing any more.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
As per usual I found it difficult to let this go. If I hit a problem it is in my nature to find a fix. So I retrieved a kit from the bin and had a good look at it and did some measurements. I am fairly sure I know the thread size. But on looking at the components I don't think the thread is the problem. I think the early kits that I have had not had the machining depths etc quite right. Hope fully the Kits you are buying now have been sorted.
Any way I am confident I can fix the problems and retrieve the kits a day in my machine shop should see it sorted. I will keep you posted.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Dan Smith aka Taylor Mirfield used to be a member on here and I think Alex Bellringer was his machinist on the Shakespeare kits, not sure on the Pratchet... You may get a quicker response if you message Dan via Facebook or TM directly..... Personally I stopped doing the Shakespeare and not tried a Pratchet, I import a SS kit from the US :whistling:

Can I ask which SS kits you are importing. PM me if you don't want to post the info in the forum. How difficult is it to buy pen stuff from the USA. How long does it take to arrive.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Hi Dave, it's not difficult to import from any country.... Just remember you will probably have to pay import tax and a Royal mail surcharge. As to how long it takes, I have had deliveries in two weeks and some in six there is no rhyme or reason... It is what it is!
:thinks::thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).