• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pressure or Vacuum - choose one

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Well, my test pieces didn't survive some moderately hard pressure (needed to check they could withstand day to day use), but I suspect that is because of the type of resin used - an epoxy may have better results. They did look pretty though!

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Well, my test pieces didn't survive some moderately hard pressure (needed to check they could withstand day to day use), but I suspect that is because of the type of resin used - an epoxy may have better results. They did look pretty though!

Did they come apart at the wood/resin join?

I'm actually currently doing wood and resin jewellery, and had discounted polyester as I don't like the stuff for a number of reasons. I've not tried it with wood, but due to the fact that it shrinks as it sets had assumed that it may pull away from the wood slightly.

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
Did they come apart at the wood/resin join?

I'm actually currently doing wood and resin jewellery, and had discounted polyester as I don't like the stuff for a number of reasons. I've not tried it with wood, but due to the fact that it shrinks as it sets had assumed that it may pull away from the wood slightly.

Yes, the joints failed. Never mind! That's why we do testing!

fingwe

Registered
First Name
Melanie
Yep, that's what I had assumed happened. Try epoxy....you may be able to find one which doesn't need either vacuum or pressure. Look for one with a really long open time and a low viscosity (thin) and then put the bottles in warm water to heat up a little before you use them. As others have said, some form of vibration will also help release the bubbles.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).