• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pressure Pot Insulated Box

Garetine

First Name
Peter
As winter hits the UK it can be difficult to keep workshops to a working temperature especially for casting.
Here’s a little project I made a couple of weeks ago from a cardboard box, insulation and a roll of duct tape.
My plan is to heat the inside of the pot and box with a blow heater and then put the lids on and hopefully the pot will hold enough heat to help the resin cure.
Once the mould was in the pot I used a hair drier to heat the inside of the pot to 24c and then put the lid on. Heated inside the box around the pot and put the box lid on.
I took the mould out and kept the pen blanks in the house over night. I used a polyester resin and I would normally wait 48hrs before turning but I needed one of the pens quickly so took a chance and turned one. It’s the first time polyester has turned like Epoxy with big ribbon streams coming from the blank. It would appear the box has worked. 😃

3435988B-9C79-4A4E-9AB1-20908ACCD100.jpeg01CF642E-2AF9-42C4-957D-0F6AEDAAE06B.jpeg23D1B6A9-3CA6-4480-AC73-623D54C04A39.jpeg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).