• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pressure Pot to Cast my Own Blanks

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Well here is my first result of last weekends casting. I mixed 6oz's of PR to make these 3 and a bit blanks. I am not yet happy with how they look but at least i am now getting results ... Will keep trying till i get it right ... :thumbs:

Once i tidy these blanks up i will lose about 15mm, so i am also looking for a better plug instead of a cork stopper ... :thinks:

pr_casted_blanks.jpg

My last PR mix was done in two plastic moulds about 4" x 2.5" x 3/4" ... The left is supposed to be red, yellow and black, the one on the right is white, red and yellow, i placed the white and black at the bottom of the moulds then added the colours to them stirring a little.. Its now a waiting game ... :thinks:

pr_mix.jpg

Would prefer the round blanks over the moulded ones Jim, it would be easier for turning and drilling etc. Thou wouldn't turn my nose up to one from the moulds for sure. :bwink:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Looks like a bit of a learning curve, mate. Observing closely because I'm going to give it a try soon using an ultrasonic cleaner to get the bubbles out of the resin. I'm not one of those jammy fits who have pressure pot! :down:

I'm thinking of making moulds for specific pens following one of the guides on IAP.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Can't wait to see what the flat blanks look like, the colours used are favourable but have they mixed correctly? :nooidea:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).