• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pros and Cons of a small wood burner in the workshop

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I have a professional turner friend I hope to take Mark to in a rural setting out of Canberra who uses a Wood Burner and one of his main lathes faces it. He turns at Warp speed with a huge extractor in a large building. The comments and observations led me to thinking he has never had a problem over many years now. His huge shed heats up nicely. No insulation on his steel walls sarking under the corrugated roof.

My fears of spontaneous combustion may be ill founded.

Peter.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I have a 'rocket stove' in the corner and vented out the roof.
Made from a gas cylinder. Lots of links on how to make on the web.
Uses all my bits of scrap and heats up the shop.
Electricity and gas are ridiculous prices so I use what is only going to be thrown away.
Phil

This is my plan for my retirement shed, been thinking about this ever since you first sent the the link of how to make these.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
A mate showed me the answer recently purpose built his large workshop using solar heat from the sun and sound methods of insuation works in this climate. Never needs heating or cooling.

Peter.

Jim

Grand Master
If you are still considering this Brad, i have some Firebricks should you need them? The same ones i used at my place if you can recall them .. :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I hope to get to my Pro Mate with Mark today I will ask him his comments on his home combustion unit he has completely used up three units over many years. He lives out of town a ways, his workshop is enormous.

Each Christmas we few clean up all through sawdust by the mile. He has a huge system for dust but.

Peter.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Thanks for the replies, but I've decided against it

Non movable
Premium space around it required
Lighting it each morning (and cleaning it)
A hole in roof or wall ..

So oil filled rad perhaps

Cheers

Brad

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am guessing weather wise the season is getting ready to test out your radiator heater soon.Our wonderful spring promises well here.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
WEather is something you live with when you become dependant on fine days everlasting water supplies, change is around the corner. These days in our giant Malls folks use them as a form of sanctuary around here. In 1974 returning from the tropics I arrived at Mascot Airport in Sydney, it was cool and raining ,I stood in the cool and rain thinking how wonderful it was to enjoy the four seasons. Memories of family friends describing old times in London fogs, Scottish and Irish blizzards still fresh in our minds.

Peter,

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).