• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
First go at a concept I've been thinking about.
Sapele and Silver Birch. 5 1/2" X 2 1/2"

Prototype_640x399.jpg

t1_640x440.jpg

t2_640x466.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Well,well,well all is well with you Neil interesting brain function expressed here.Loved the concept and execution.

Peter.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I like this Neil great piece of turning. A great fit from inner to outer, I bet there was many test fits to get it such a good fit.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
That's a great concept Neil. Don't tell Richard Kennedy - he'll nick that idea for sure! Is it dishwasher safe by the way?:devil:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Thanks all!

That's a great concept Neil. Don't tell Richard Kennedy - he'll nick that idea for sure! Is it dishwasher safe by the way?:devil:

Yes it is dishwasher safe. We don't have one! :face::funny:

I like this Neil great piece of turning. A great fit from inner to outer, I bet there was many test fits to get it such a good fit.

Not many actually, which was surprising.
I turned the outer of the Sapele but left it slightly too tight on the Birch, and unfinished. This was no bad thing as by the time I finished the piercing on the Birch, which made it more flexible anyway, the Sapele had moved slightly. Another cut, and a quick hand sand sorted it out.
Still lined up the end grain on both pieces though, just in case!:ciggrin:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Seeing yours how about having the outer on a near round shape, there would have to be a join and the only way would be to have the inner a light coloured wood and the outer being pyrographed as to hid the join. OK I'll get me coat or at least go and try it in the shed:funny:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Seeing yours how about having the outer on a near round shape, there would have to be a join and the only way would be to have the inner a light coloured wood and the outer being pyrographed as to hid the join. OK I'll get me coat or at least go and try it in the shed:funny:

Eh? I'm a bit lost on this one?

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
You could only do this on a half bowl to do one on say a sphere it would need to be done in two halves

Oh I see!
The pyro bit threw me. I deliberately avoided the pyro on this one as so many are doing it now.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Oh I see!
The pyro bit threw me. I deliberately avoided the pyro on this one as so many are doing it now.

The pyro bit was just something that jumped to mind to hide a join there could be other ways, but me being me had to think of the simpliest thing or I confuse myself:whistling::whistling::whistling::funny::funny::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).