• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

proud of this pen

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
This segmented pen isn't one the best pens I have seen however it is the one I am most proud of.

I saved up all my pocket money and bought myself a set of five Conway Stuart pen blanks. (They are beautiful, my eldest son got me another set for fathers day) Anyways, while drilling the hole in the Conway I dropped a clanger and came through the side of the blank. I have to admit I was heartbroken.

I decided to use what was left of the Conway and pair it with some Elm I had. Rather than just cutting everything square, and being new to turning, I decided to test myself and cut all the parts at a 45 angle. After a bit of messing and sticking my fingers together the blanks was ready to turn.

The next disaster cam when I had a catch and the bottom half of the Elm broke. Luck would have it the last piece of Elm was just long enough to make another piece.

The better part of the day gone the pen was finally shaped and ready for sanding. It was then I noticed that the joint wasn't as tight as I would like so I glued in some shaving, sanded it down and filled with glue. You can just about make out the filling in the last picture.

Although I only produced one pen it was a fantastic days turning and I produced a pen I will keep.

SimonP6140110.JPG P6140111.JPG
P6140109.JPG

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
A great effort on your part ,well done you ...many would have thrown in the towel but your determination has produced a great pen.:thumbs:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I'd have thrown it across the workshop Simon but well done for continuing and getting a good result out of it.

Jim

Grand Master
That good fighting spirit Simon has produced a beauty my friend .. :thumbs:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
A great save Simon a fine looking pen. With saves like that you should be guarding our goal against Wales on Thursday.

:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).