• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Puzzle pieces blank

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
I ordered this blank for my mom, because she likes jigsaw puzzles. The resin is clear, so I need to paint the tubes and reverse paint the blank. But what color? I was thinking white, since if I use one of the puzzle pieces colors, it would tend to hide those pieces. But what about something like black or silver? I can't decide.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 79

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Black would create contrast and give depth. If you have a spare piece after you cut to size you could always turn that piece down and try different colours to see what happens before you commit.

Peter

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
Black would create contrast and give depth. If you have a spare piece after you cut to size you could always turn that piece down and try different colours to see what happens before you commit.

Peter

That's a really good idea, but after cutting to length, I only have about a 1/2" piece left. I don't think it's long enough to turn and polish.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 76

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I only have about a 1/2" piece left. I don't think it's long enough to turn and polish.

Why not stick a piece of wood either end if needed then drill and turn if you make it long enough make a single bodied pen after all the effort is for you mum's pen you are making

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
That's a really good idea, but after cutting to length, I only have about a 1/2" piece left. I don't think it's long enough to turn and polish.

Why not stick a piece of wood either end if needed then drill and turn if you make it long enough make a single bodied pen after all the effort is for you mum's pen you are making

That's probably the best way to try it out, you don't need to glue in a tube, just drill for the tube, back paint and see what it looks like or shove coloured paper into the hole.

Peter

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
Everyone's good ideas made my decision harder. So I went with my first choice, white. Once I turn and polish them, I'll know if it was the right color.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 36
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 38

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The last pic reminds me of Poly glue seeking a way out and a happy home. A demonstrator from Victoria always gave me a chuckle using product as he turned use this as if it was given to you by someone else be very genenerous. Now for the finished pen mate.

Peter.

qquake2k

Fellow
First Name
Jim
White looks okay, but I can't help but wonder what black or silver would have looked like. Regardless, my mom will love it. There were some air bubbles and one small chip in the lower body. I filled them with thick CA, and will finish it tomorrow.

Attachments

• polished01.JPG
    polished01.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 37
  • polished02.JPG
    polished02.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 37
  • ca01.JPG
    ca01.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 37
  • ca03.JPG
    ca03.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 39
  • ca02.JPG
    ca02.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 36

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Interesting blank :thumbs:
As for what colour to back paint the inside of the blank and the tube ................ I haven't got a clue :thinks::rolling:

Jim

Grand Master
Using the white hasn't been a bad choice Jim, helps them look a tad 3D to me .. :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).