• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pyro pen

sammy

Graduate Member
First Name
George
For those who are interested. This was my first go at a pyrography pen.
View attachment 32721
I didn't like the pattern and the finish wasn't good. I've gone off friction polish now.
So I did another with a leaf pattern. I liked the design but the finish was a disaster. It was my first go with ca, sorry Walter but I'd already bought two bottles before I read your piece and I sort of wanted to see how it would look.
Anyway, I had to sand it back and the pyrography lost its sharpness. Here is a photo.
View attachment 32722
So that is why I agree with the comments about the centre band spoiling the pen with the reedmace.
Last night I finished another pen and It is much better. I will start a new post with it later.
Thanks for the comments and the interest.
George

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I love the concept George - there have been lots of comments already about the shape and the Cb, so I'm not going to join in, but I really am looking forward to seeing you develop this. I think you're onto a winning idea and I can't believe that no one else has ever posted experiments along these lines before. I suppose everyone is caught up with casting these days, so it's lovely to see a new idea coming out- I look forward to seeing more of your journey.

sammy

Graduate Member
First Name
George
Thanks for your comments, Phil. I really like pyrography so combining it with pen turning is a real bonus for me.
Regards
George

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).