• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pyro pot

sammy

Graduate Member
First Name
George
I have just completed a needle pot decorated with pyrography. I wanted to try a couple of different finishes to see how they compared. The finish on the lid of the pot is melamine gloss, sprayed from a rattle can. I didn't enjoy the process even with the windows open. The body is finished with CA and that gave me even more trouble. I gave it 5 coats of the thin stuff and all was going well, but when I used some medium CA on the next coat, part of it dried with a white bloom that seemed to be under the CA. I had a similar problem with a pen once, but not quite as bad. If anybody knows what causes the white bloom I'd be pleased to know. I am sure it isn't a moisture issue because the wood was very dry. Anyway here is a picture of the pot that very nearly went in the wheelie.
needle.jpg

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I like the shape and the Pyro work I try to avoid using two different finishes on a piece and stick to one which keeps it looking the smae. Not a lover of CA finish as there can be so many problems when applying it like the blooming that you have. You say the piece was dry did you check it with a moisture meter or was it done by weighing it over a period of time.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Sometimes using a fixer too close or too heavy an application can cause this effect or coats timing in between. Mixing thick and thin CA of different brands can be a lottery, I only use thin or medium CA but never together. Not long back I cracked onto a quantity of my favourite Mitre Fix Activator ,this brand for me is tops. Love your Pyro and decoration on the lovely Needle Box they are treasured in our house my wife being an avid needle worker.

Peter.

sammy

Graduate Member
First Name
George
I like the shape and the Pyro work I try to avoid using two different finishes on a piece and stick to one which keeps it looking the smae. Not a lover of CA finish as there can be so many problems when applying it like the blooming that you have. You say the piece was dry did you check it with a moisture meter or was it done by weighing it over a period of time.

Thanks for your reply, Derek. I'm going off ca too, going to concentrate on melamine for a bit. Regarding the dryness of the wood, I purchased it kiln dried so just expected it to be dry. Thanks again.
George

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).