• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Quality is hard to find

Gary Dixon

Apprentice Member
First Name
Gary
The best quality pen kit i have seen and made is the Majestic roller ball from axminster at £32.96 . . . The look . The weight . just how it feels in your hand is quality . I have been looking for a better quality pen kit than this but are very hard to find and i dont want to pay £50 for a kit and it not be as nice . The Majestic Gold Titanium and Chrome Ballpoint Twist Pen from turners retreat is the same for its money £14.95 . Is the a pen kit out there what is better than Majestic from axminster for no more than £60 ? How much and where can i buy this kit from. :thinks:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
To be honest Gary I think you need to look a little harder.

You won't go far wrong with the BF Mistral kit. (less then £25 a kit) or the TM Alpha for good UK Quality. (12.50 a kit)

The kits you refer to are the PSI kits, they are a good quality but have a price as they are imported from the USA. You could get the Dayacom kits, similar quality but import costs are again high due to outside EU.

You could always buy them yourself from the USA and save bit of "mark up" costs.

When we BREXIT I'm sure we will get them cheaper.:winking:

Chriscb

First Name
Chris

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
the Vertex range at All Fountain Pen Kits | Penkits UK, but they only seem to stock the gold version, which isn't as good as the gunmetal or chrome version. My personal favourite is the Classic Elite 2 range at Classic "Elite" Range.

Regards,

Chriscb

I agree with the first two selection, but the last two are not a patch on the first.

Be aware that some of the "cheaper kits" from Rizheng will only have an interference fit nib assembly and not a screw in unit. making up-grades difficult to say the least.

Tony at UK pen kits and Vince at turners workshop sell good kits and do a great job between them, but don't get mistaken the ones identified are no where near the quality of the original PSI Majestic that Gary mentioned.

The word quality is subjective and has been debated many times on here, something I have had a lot of moans about. Some suppliers are now listening and we (all forum members) need to react to that and we will get a better quality pen out of it.:rant: :rant::rant::rant:

Quality is all subjective and everyone sees it as a different perspective.

Sorry, I will go and lie down now...

Gary Dixon

Apprentice Member
First Name
Gary
To be honest Gary I think you need to look a little harder.

You won't go far wrong with the BF Mistral kit. (less then £25 a kit) or the TM Alpha for good UK Quality. (12.50 a kit)

The kits you refer to are the PSI kits, they are a good quality but have a price as they are imported from the USA. You could get the Dayacom kits, similar quality but import costs are again high due to outside EU.

You could always buy them yourself from the USA and save bit of "mark up" costs.

When we BREXIT I'm sure we will get them cheaper.:winking:

I have made TM Alpha they are good kit just not the quality as the Majestic roller ball from axminster and feel as nice in the hand ..... look a little harder i am trying. Not been in this pen turner game for long but doing ok i think with a bit of help from you guys :banana:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I have made TM Alpha they are good kit just not the quality as the Majestic roller ball from axminster and feel as nice in the hand ..... look a little harder i am trying. Not been in this pen turner game for long but doing ok i think with a bit of help from you guys :banana:

Try the Mistral Gary, sure you won't be disappointed, however my only bone with the Mistral is the pen cap thread, takes too many turns to remove. but that is how its designed and I can't fault the quality of the plantings , weight an feel.

but I would recommend the Daycom kits. check this out. http://www.penturners.co.uk/pen-making-accessories/13796-none-uk-pen-kit-supplier.html

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
As others have said the Mistral is a top quality pen and I also feel the Alpha is up there with uk available pens at a decent price. :thinks:

If your looking at pens outside the UK take a look at Timberbits Australia , the Pristina is a nice looking pen and feels good in the hand, and doesn't have to much bling, their Roman Harvest is also a decent pen and as a little more bling. Prices from Australia are also more favourable than those with a US $ tag.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Without doubt Garry there are so many pen kits and stories out there. Quality is a much used word. viewing kits etc is made so much easier if you belong to a Wood group the members all have favourites. Establish your purchasing power with honest dealers. Make a list of the features you seek.

Peter.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Without doubt Garry there are so many pen kits and stories out there. Quality is a much used word. viewing kits etc is made so much easier if you belong to a Wood group the members all have favourites. Establish your purchasing power with honest dealers. Make a list of the features you seek.

Peter.

Well said Peter, the " make a list" is most important. once Gary gets his lost together om sure that he will identify where he needs to focus on kit quality

Pierre---

First Name
Pierre
Quality is for sure a matter of personal idea, but not only. The thickness of a centre band tread is certainly objective and measurable: from it the quality of a kit can be evaluated.
Quality is also a matter of national idea. Most of the kits much sought after in the States would not be priced a penny, a dime or a centime here in France, because an industrially stamped metal decoration made by tens of thousands is usually not worth a lot of money for our eyes. I don't mean it's ugly, it is just a matter of taste depending mostly of the history of crafts we are used to see and touch.
Quality has also to see with concurrence, I mean what people are used to be attracted by. I think that not a single pen addict used to Montblanc and S.T. Dupont would buy a Majestic. But they can love kitless. Propose a Majestic on FP Network.uk just to check...
Kits, what are they? Something designed to be inexpensive to make, that could be sold to somebody who cannot thread. Not a lot to see with what we name quality. Well, it is shortly said, but it is sure part of the truth.

But to answer your question, a Beaufort Mistral is for sure a well designed kit with a lot of objective qualities. And if you want to began to take distances with kits, I would advice a Blingless from Timberbits, a high quality craftsmanship.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).