• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Quick rant..

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Google is just a search engine it doesn't offer information itself on this. What it can do is point you to accurate articles published elsewhere.

How about the UK government's own advice; Clear snow from a road, path or cycleway - GOV.UK or Clearing ice and snow from footways | nidirect
Some councils advice; Clearing snow and ice from pavements and public spaces or Clearing snow and ice from pavements | Clearing snow and ice from pavements | City of York Council
I know google is a search engine, but is all you find on google real information? or is it fake news?

Fully understand where you are coming from.. BUT, in the comments of all your links there is a statement of "it is unlikely that you would face any legal liability AS LONG AS YOU ARE CAREFUL" which also means if I am not careful then I could be legally liable.:rolling:

That is where the problem is. What determines being careful, what determines that Joe Boggs hasn't blocked another persons footpath, walkway or made it unsafe.:thinks:.

What I am saying is that if common sense was to prevail then you shouldn't have any liability, however how do you measure common sense?

Are they ? Can you list any instance where a claims company has suggested claiming against an individual for damages regarding falls on ice ? or an instance where such a claim has been upheld ? or are you just guessing ?

Its things like this that people actually read.

Health and safety experts warn: don't clear icy pavements, you could get sued - Telegraph

I don't guess, I only speak of what I know and what experiences I have seen, personally experienced and heard directly myself.

It not the end result of the claim being upheld as that's why we have insurance companies, its the fact that the claim is being put through in the first place and people are human and worry about it actually effecting them. We all know it shouldn't.

The fact is there are people that won't take on that responsibility due to those ideals. I know I always clear my drive and agree that the likelihood of a claim being upheld is very unlikely. Even getting a solicitor to take it on would be even more unlikely.

That directly contradicts the official advice quoted above.

What I stated in the first thread was that large companies and farmers were advised not to clear public roads due to the "liability", we had also been advised against it from the highways unless we had a liability insurance and risk assessments and method statements to cover us.

Legal department had a hissy fit and put out an advisory against it due to litigation.

What I am saying here is that "PEOPLE" don't want to take on the risks even though the likelihood of a claim is low, just for the fact that its a claim and being put through that claim can be stressful in its self.

APH

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
I know google is a search engine, but is all you find on google real information? or is it fake news?
The UK government web site and local councils are hardly fake news are they ?
Its things like this that people actually read.
Health and safety experts warn: don't clear icy pavements, you could get sued - Telegraph Do people read it ? because it says
" the professional body that represents health and safety experts has issued a warning to businesses not to grit public paths" (my emphasis)
its the fact that the claim is being put through in the first place
Has a private individual EVER been sued about this ? Not that i can find on the net.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Has a private individual EVER been sued about this ? Not that i can find on the net.

You won't find it on the net because of the law of tort, insurance companies wont want to have it down in writing so that the flood gates had been opened so its usually settle out of court.

Never said government sites were fake news, but anyone can set up a website and make it look legit, is it real or is it fake..:thinks:

APH

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
You won't find it on the net because of the law of tort, insurance companies wont want to have it down in writing so that the flood gates had been opened so its usually settle out of court.
If anyone had been successfully sued for that it's highly unlikely there would be no mention or allegation published anywhere.
Yes, getting sued after cleaning a footpath is a, VERY, remote possibility, but from the lack of any credible evidence it's simply a non-issue. People should be far more concerned about real risks like being struck by lightening or hit by a passing aircraft.
Never said government sites were fake news, but anyone can set up a website and make it look legit, is it real or is it fake..:thinks:
You think that someone would go the trouble of setting up a fake government and council sites with false https credentials about clearing snow from footpaths ? get real.

Pastor of Muppets

First Name
Andy
Under U.K. law it would probably fall under the tort of the negligence. under which three things have to be considered. Was the injured party owed a duty of care. Was "harm" caused to the individual. Was the harm caused by an act of negligence. If all three of these are fulfilled then there may be a case for litigation.
Sorry to open this can of worms up again but (and I am ashamed to admit this) I work in health and safety for a local authority.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
You think that someone would go the trouble of setting up a fake government and council sites with false https credentials about clearing snow from footpaths ? get real.

:funny::funny:

Where did I reference anyone setting up a web site for snow clearing..:funny::funny:

You also have less chance of winning the lottery but they still do it don't they..:rolling:

It was a comment about "google"and fake websites in general..:rolling:
[MENTION=1682]KevinMc[/MENTION] excellent thread.. bring on weekly rant.. :wink::banana:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Ding Ding. Time gentlemen. Thank you for discussing your views with manners and dignity (and I do mean that, it's not sarcasm). We can only have Rant of the Week is everyone promises to continue to play nicely.:praying:

Here's a pretty picture in the meantime:ciggrin:

loch tarff.jpg

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Ding Ding. Time gentlemen. Thank you for discussing your views with manners and dignity (and I do mean that, it's not sarcasm). We can only have Rant of the Week is everyone promises to continue to play nicely.:praying:

Here's a pretty picture in the meantime:ciggrin:

View attachment 34075

Can I have a rant about rain stopping me cutting up my logs then [MENTION=1110]Phil[/MENTION] :funny::funny::funny:

No reindeer and sleigh in that picture not very festive:whistling::whistling::whistling:

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
Having to make contact with some people today. ... I was sick of hearing about the end of life due to the snow... why does England come to a stop when six snowflakes fall in the same day...:vangry:

Bet some on this forum could share photos of real snow... heres the view from my house of the world ending snow !! It’s almost covered the grass on the sleeping neighbours although it’s -5

Kevin :banana:

If you REALLY want to see a city come to a screeching halt when 2" of snow falls, try Phoenix, Arizona, USA. In the fifty years I have lived here it has snowed once. Two whole inches. They cancelled school for the day because the bus drivers didn't know how to drive in the snow. By 9am it was all melted. :rolling:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
If you REALLY want to see a city come to a screeching halt when 2" of snow falls, try Phoenix, Arizona, USA. In the fifty years I have lived here it has snowed once. Two whole inches. They cancelled school for the day because the bus drivers didn't know how to drive in the snow. By 9am it was all melted. :rolling:

:funny::funny: I can just imagine that.

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Snow, what snow? We’ve only had a sprinkling of rain down here! I tell a lie, we did get hailstones the other day.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).