• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Quilted Tasmanian Blackwood

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
This timber has so many faces from shimmering like a shot silk tie to twisted tough quilted grain. Many years ago on a trip to Tassie a fellow Woody from Canberra and his wife turned up at the same timberyard we three Peters were visiting, he selected a long very heavy stick, very dry cut a long time from high in the stack.

It slipped off the fork lift and hit the concrete and rang out loud like a piece of steel. It is tough and beautiful. THe guy then had it stowed in his caravan until he returned home.

This piece came with others from my furniture making friend who sold me a big batch of mixed Tassie Timbers this year, I waited two years.

Worth the wait.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF7505.JPG
    DSCF7505.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF7509.JPG
    DSCF7509.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF7512.JPG
    DSCF7512.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF7512-001.JPG
    DSCF7512-001.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF7514.JPG
    DSCF7514.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF7515.JPG
    DSCF7515.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 47
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).