• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Radiused Rolled Edge Skew

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for this Doug, when i sharpen Skews i have it set on the top hole at 15° i see you are using the 30° is this due to the curve of your skew?? :nooidea:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Hi Doug you look like you put a fairly large radius on your skew how do you find it Iv thought of doing it that way but just not tried it yet Frankie.

This is an old skew I had as a kid which I reshaped a couple of years ago after watching a demo, it gets used for loads of things especially shear scraping & using it as a negative rake scraper, also the long radius means you really have to try hard to get a dig in :bwink:
If you have an old skew it's well worth reshaping it & trying it out.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for this Doug, when i sharpen Skews i have it set on the top hole at 15° i see you are using the 30° is this due to the curve of your skew?? :nooidea:
If I'm honest Jim I don't know what angle it's set at, it's the bottom hole of the front row of holes which when I shaped it looked about the right angle I was looking for, particularly as I wanted to use it for scraping.
That said I don't think you'd have a problem if you altered the angle you're only pivoting the chisel whilst holding it down on the tool rest, best bet is to try it without the machine running, just get used to moving the edge across the belt before you try it with the pro edge running.

Jim

Grand Master
Like Frankie mentions early Doug, i have an old well used skew that i will experiment with using both the angles .. I will take before and after pictures to show the results ... Thanks for all the advice folks ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).