• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Recent trip away thankyou for the owner of the property

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
This man is a fellow member of the Vietnam Veterans Assn owned the property we spent a wonderful day enjoying.

My thankyou for his hospitality , fine food, perfect day. A slice of Brown Mallee Burl, the Pen is Hairy Oak. Best day Wilma and me with 36 others spent in the 20 degree C Sun.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF8420.JPG
    DSCF8420.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF8433.JPG
    DSCF8433.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF8435.JPG
    DSCF8435.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCF8436.JPG
    DSCF8436.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 53

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Very nice Peter:thumbs:

Our Katie would love a pen turned from a 'tiger looking' Pen Blank, as she's really into big cats.

Paul hd

Fellow
First Name
Paul
Hi Peter,
Both pieces look amazing. Did you put the penny and medal in place or was that part of the piece?
Is there a story behind the medal and 1949 Penny?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi Peter,
Both pieces look amazing. Did you put the penny and medal in place or was that part of the piece?
Is there a story behind the medal and 1949 Penny?

The medal(badge) is the Corps the Royal Australian Corps of Signals his mustering in Vietnam. I started with this slice of Brown Mallee Burl, shaped and full flattened the base inset the only 1949 penny in my collection his birth year, they are glued in. The medallion I was able to purchase in gold and silver at a large Army Shop it is cast in clear because the Crown is separate but part of. As it is to be a surprise given to him on Tuesday next when we have a Bar B Q just a few blocks away from my home at the HQ for the Association. The guy is an outstanding citizen, generous and kind. When I did my service in the Army it was Korea or bust, I chose to bust and marry in 1955 but stayed on in the Citizen Military Forces subject to call up for some years. When we visited his country property it was 20 degee heaven, now in the latter part of autumn the frosts have commenced. I am grateful we put in the system under the eaves that gives us almost free heat distributed through the house. I love making pen rests but man they are time consuming multi tasking. Some time ago I lucked on a big boy sander with a six plus inch width and metre long bed, 15 mins to flatten the base.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0049.JPG
    DSCF0049.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 32

Paul hd

Fellow
First Name
Paul
The medal(badge) is the Corps the Royal Australian Corps of Signals his mustering in Vietnam. I started with this slice of Brown Mallee Burl, shaped and full flattened the base inset the only 1949 penny in my collection his birth year, they are glued in. The medallion I was able to purchase in gold and silver at a large Army Shop it is cast in clear because the Crown is separate but part of. As it is to be a surprise given to him on Tuesday next when we have a Bar B Q just a few blocks away from my home at the HQ for the Association. The guy is an outstanding citizen, generous and kind. When I did my service in the Army it was Korea or bust, I chose to bust and marry in 1955 but stayed on in the Citizen Military Forces subject to call up for some years. When we visited his country property it was 20 degee heaven, now in the latter part of autumn the frosts have commenced. I am grateful we put in the system under the eaves that gives us almost free heat distributed through the house. I love making pen rests but man they are time consuming multi tasking. Some time ago I lucked on a big boy sander with a six plus inch width and metre long bed, 15 mins to flatten the base.

Peter.
Hi Peter,
That is an amazing gift and thanks for the story behind it.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).