• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Recommendations please

Tom.1946

Graduate Member
First Name
Tom
Guys as you know I am fairly new to pen turning.
So far I have made only four types of pens.
1. Slimline
2. Streamline
3. Sierras
4. Cartridge pen
5. I have European pen kits but have messed up three out of eight. So at present leaving to one side as I have cut wood wrong size and still can't figure bushes. I have a set off three but Axminster seems to have a set of four.

However if we leave pen 5 behind, what would the group suggest for the next step up. But funds are limited so kits at £20+ would be out the window????
Bare in mind to date mostly pens or the likes of Christmas trees etc is all I have been turning.....

Morse

Graduate Member
First Name
Dave
HI Tom.
Have a look at Beaufortink.co.uk
Their Sirocco is similar to the Sierra you’ve already made. They also have a good selection of kits.
(this forum is also owned by Phil from Beaufort)

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
HI Tom.
Have a look at Beaufortink.co.uk
Their Sirocco is similar to the Sierra you’ve already made. They also have a good selection of kits.
(this forum is also owned by Phil from Beaufort)
Nope, Phil kindly hosts the forum but it’s owned by the members.
Phil himself wouldn’t want it to be seen as it’s owned by Beaufort ink, however all costs are taken out of his business. Which everyone on here should appreciate as it does need time, money and maintenance to keep it the way it is and the extra bandwidth it takes up as well.

@Tom.1946
As for the next pen I would certainly recommend the Tempest click pen which is a lovely feel, shape and size. Nice and compact and uses a parker refill. It’s also a two part pen so your experience of the slimline pens will stand in good stead here.

The Mistral pens come in FP/RB/BP and pencil so makes a really nice set of you wanted to make one up.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Tom, I love all things Beaufort they are well designed, well plated and fit and finish first class, but it comes at a cost. I would recommend the Omega from Taylors Mirfield, its a good kit, well made and a better price point....

TVS

Fellow
First Name
Woody
I would also recommend CS Crafts https://www.cscrafts.co.uk/pen_kit_uk they do some cheaper kits tat may fit your budget as a beginner the Managers and the Retro come in at under £8 each don't forget the bushes to fit also the senator click pen £5 each good luck and happy turning

Skydivermel

First Name
Melvyn
Tom, I love all things Beaufort they are well designed, well plated and fit and finish first class, but it comes at a cost. I would recommend the Omega from Taylors Mirfield, its a good kit, well made and a better price point....
I'll second the Omega it's a great kit.