• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Recycled wine bottle into glass (and fixed a spoon)

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
I have been experimenting with cutting wine bottles so I can make them into wine glass'. I then turn a simple bottom. These are the first ones of the lathe and no I am not happy with them yet but I can see the potential.

Other ideas I have are to make desk lamps and with the bottom of the wine bottle some candle holders (with wooden base or stand) I am also going to try and make a vase and use a wine bottle for an insert so that the water will not ruin the wood over time.

As always all comments are welcome, good or bad and sorry about the quality of the pictures, my light box isn't big enough.

Simon

View attachment 32480 View attachment 32481

View attachment 32482 View attachment 32483

View attachment 32484 View attachment 32485

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Better than I could do mate, it would be a mound of glass splinters if I tried that..:goesred: very good Simon, how did you cut the bottles?

May have a go one day:funny:

Sgreen

Registered
First Name
Simon
Better than I could do mate, it would be a mound of glass splinters if I tried that..:goesred: very good Simon, how did you cut the bottles?

May have a go one day:funny:

I made a cutting jig similar to the one in this picture. I use hot water from the kettle and then cold tap water to separate the two halves. I put rubber bands around the bottle to help stop the hot water going all over the bottle.
I then carefully use a belt sander with 120 grit to smooth of the edges (A mask is essential) Then hand sand go up the grits with wet and dry until the surface is smooth. I use a cork in the lid and hold it all in pace with CA glue.
Future projects I will use Milliput to hold the glass/bottle into the bottom and might add a milliput inlay to tie everything together.

View attachment 32517

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).