• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Red mallee burr - cigar pen

donegalturner

First Name
Aaron
Hi guys hope everyone's well.

I've finally started to really push away from the slimline pens as for some reason they don't sell at all in our shop.

Anyway.

My first pen today is a personal keep sake one I've wanted to do a nice pen for myself for the office for a while and I love wood so didn't want acrylic etc.

Local store had a few red mallee burr blanks and I jumped on 2.

Below is the final pen, charnwoods cigar pen in black and gun metal finished with the red mallee burr and that's sanded to 400grit and then friction polished and finished with microcrystalline wax.

I prefer the natural look of wood instead of the overly glossy but I will admit I'm a little disappointed I haven't managed to get this wood to pop :(

As always comments, criticism and reccomended improvements are welcome.

Thanks and have a lovely easter from myself in Donegal Ireland. IMG_20240328_203205.jpgIMG_20240328_203225.jpg

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Very nice mate...I use melamine laquer, leave it over night and buff next day.

Attachments

• 20240302_175238.jpg
    20240302_175238.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6