• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Reindeer antler pens

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Nice set of pens there..:thumbs:

Deer must be fresh. Remove the antlers and sling, remainder, 20 mins per pound at 180 degree C, middle shelf.

I have an old deer antler in the shed, so should I have cooked it when I brought it back ?

I haven't done so does this "reindeer" :funny: it useless then? Or can I still use it once I have retired and have the time to turn pens again..?

Ivort

Apprentice Member
First Name
Ivor
Hi,
Thanks for all the comments, I did not expect so many.

I think the antlers should be left for a year before turning and if they are left too long in the sun they can become soft and crumbly.

You can turn red deer antler as well but the midlle is more porus than reindeer antler.

A few people liked the top 2 pens which I was a bit surprised at as that is getting towards the centre.
I prefer the white ones but you need to select the right bit of the antler to get the size.
Thanks again
Ivor

Jim

Grand Master
These look very good Ivor, don't worry to much about the images our residential photographer Vic will be writing up a tutorial very shortly .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).