• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Resin Saver Moulds...

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I asked Paul how far the Alumilite was going and the 2 bottle kit he'd got was doing around 2 sierra size I think it was, so if there is a shelf life of 8 months or so I personally wouldn't want to buy much more at a time than that.

Ray, I don't know what I said in the first place, that was my first attempts and I'd mixed too much on one lot and then... whatever but... I think that you will get about 6-8 mixes out of 16oz (each mould for a sierra takes 20ml if you want to work it out) and that is for 2 moulds so you should get up to 30 blanks using a resin saver mould.

Moondoggy

First Name
Paul
Dan, I'm very interested in both moulds and resin. Something I am very keen to dabble in.
16 oz might be a good size for dabblers.

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Looks like you could be on to a winner here Dan :thumbs::thumbs:

I am sure you are right Billy. I have had to wait nearly a month for the Aluminite to come back in stock at the Metal Clay Company and the moulds from Timberbits ??? It will be great if Dan can pull this one off especially if he can supply moulds made for his full range of pens.

:thumbs:Vic:thumbs:

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
I am sure you are right Billy. I have had to wait nearly a month for the Aluminite to come back in stock at the Metal Clay Company and the moulds from Timberbits ??? It will be great if Dan can pull this one off especially if he can supply moulds made for his full range of pens.

He will certainly have me jumping in & it would be great if we had a one stop shop in the UK, of course Dan does need a few others jumping in :thinks:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
He will certainly have me jumping in & it would be great if we had a one stop shop in the UK, of course Dan does need a few others jumping in :thinks:

I am sure they will Billy. It puts some people off having to import stuff. I should imagine that when some of the guys post pics of their home spun blanks it will get others interested in having a go and if the cost is reasonable I am sure a lot will want to have a go.

Themackay

Fellow
First Name
Alan
I am sure they will Billy. It puts some people off having to import stuff. I should imagine that when some of the guys post pics of their home spun blanks it will get others interested in having a go and if the cost is reasonable I am sure a lot will want to have a go.

Well I for one am planning having a go I have bought and scrounged some old watches I really like the watch part blanks but the possibilities are endless I was going to order a couple of moulds from timberbits but unsure what to go for thats beefy enough for watch parts.Will be good if Dan gets it all together at a better price than present suppliers.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Where will it stop. Powdered Pigment especially pearlex as I could imagine that it does not have a shelf life

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Super ideas Dan. :thumbs: I intend :rolling: making some watch and feather blanks this year so I will wait and see what happens with the resin savers.
Best of luck with this new venture :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter

There is no need to import alumilite, alumilite is a brand name that the americans love, it is a polyurethane resin. I use a clear cast polyurethane resin, it is cheaper, always in stock whenever I have ordered and works without any problem. Resin saver molds are easy to make although I can understand why people might not want to make their own.

Peter

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
There is no need to import alumilite, alumilite is a brand name that the americans love, it is a polyurethane resin. I use a clear cast polyurethane resin, it is cheaper, always in stock whenever I have ordered and works without any problem. Resin saver molds are easy to make although I can understand why people might not want to make their own.

Peter

What can they be made from Peter? I was thinking about 3/4in overflow pipe from B&Q or plumbers merchants but which type of plastic would be needed?

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
i saw a tutorial using 2 pieces of quadrant moulding back to back when pouring the silicone mould making material. I think it was an IAP library item.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Resin saver molds are made for a particular kit or particular tubes and are usually made from silicon or latex. The type of mold tubes you are talking about I don't think anyone sells them commercially as they are easily cut from upvc tubes from the DIY stores. I have upvc tubes that I have used over and over for a couple of years for PR and they still work fine, I know some people use a release agent, but I have not needed one so far. For polyurethane resin I don't use the upright tubes and use either resin saver moulds or a horizontal box for making 5/6 blanks. I know that people on IAP use upvc tubes with alumilite and some use a release agent as the tubes get older and the natural release starts to wear down.

Peter

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Resin saver molds are made for a particular kit or particular tubes and are usually made from silicon or latex. The type of mold tubes you are talking about I don't think anyone sells them commercially as they are easily cut from upvc tubes from the DIY stores. I have upvc tubes that I have used over and over for a couple of years for PR and they still work fine, I know some people use a release agent, but I have not needed one so far. For polyurethane resin I don't use the upright tubes and use either resin saver moulds or a horizontal box for making 5/6 blanks. I know that people on IAP use upvc tubes with alumilite and some use a release agent as the tubes get older and the natural release starts to wear down.

Peter
Thanks for the explanation Peter, we'll see what price it all works out at when Dan gets everything in stock and have a go.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
i saw a tutorial using 2 pieces of quadrant moulding back to back when pouring the silicone mould making material. I think it was an IAP library item.

I remember looking at that and yes it was on there.

Attachments

• simple_and_easy_mold_making.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).