• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Resin shrinkage!

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I had a couple of goes at turning Resin and Timber Offcuts Bowls like Peter posted in his thread,

http://www.penturners.co.uk/off-topic-forum/17365-how-many-you-have-bought.html

For some reason the resin shrunk away from the timber, why did it do this?
How can I stop this happening?

The first two photos are eucalyptus and last photo is mulga, the timber has been dead 10 years or so.

This is the resin I used.

Clear Casting Resin - 4kg [C200036-M] - $68.05 : Adelaide Moulding & Casting Supplies

scouseroy

Graduate Member
First Name
Roy
Shrinkage can increase if higher percentages of catalyst are used? also if any moisture at all in the wood resin can heat when curing causing the wood to expand slightle and as it cools it shrinks back try heating the wood slightly so its warm when you cast?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Roy has said too much MEKP will not help and also any moisture in the wood. I always leave any wood destined for use with resin of any kind in the airing cupboard until it is dry and on the day of casting I put it in the oven on the lowest setting with the door just open and cook it for at least half an hour and the heat in the wood seems to draw the resin into any pores or fissures in the wood as it cools. I haven't had shrinkage like that, but it doesn't mean I won't in the future. I never use more than 1% MEKP and often around .75% especially if the wood is quite hot.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).