• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Ruined slimlines

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
I recently ruined to Slimline acrylic pens one by taking a chip out off one piece, and on the other before polishing I tried to thin it down slightly but found when polishing that I had put a dimple in it.
When sorting out pens and blanks last night I came across them and decided to finish the other half and make a finished pen.
On another note I have never been able a slim slimline pen any advice???

Attachments

• 20231020_071230.jpg
    20231020_071230.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 22

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
It's all part of the learning process....
I had the odd mistake, I put it in tea cup, then they went in a box, then they had to go in a draw!!
Now they go straight in the bin, I CBA counting:vangry:

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
I keep my mistakes to show my blind students what NOT to do LOL. I is also good for them to know that even an experienced turner ruins a piece sometimes!

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
It's all part of the learning process....
I had the odd mistake, I put it in tea cup, then they went in a box, then they had to go in a draw!!
Now they go straight in the bin, I CBA counting:vangry:
Just thought I would make one rather than loose two blanks. By the way did you ever try the European pen???

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Just thought I would make one rather than loose two blanks. By the way did you ever try the European pen???
Not yet, she'd time is at a premium at the moment... I keep making the historic blank pens mostly as commissions...

Gadget-UK

Graduate Member
First Name
Colin
Might just be me BUT I have always found Slimline Pens to be the worst for making mistakes with.
They are so small and thin that the slightest error can show up big time and make a mess of the end result.

I know the kits are cheap and that's why most people get them, but in my experience none of my customers like them as getting refills are a major issue..

Try one of Phil's:
Aquilo ballpoint pen kit

Great kit, good size tube with plenty of material on the tube, standard ink refill and as a bonus they look great.

Give one a try Tom :thumbs:

alan morrison

Fellow
First Name
Alan
By the way did you ever try the European pen???
From memory the European is somewhat between a Streamline and a Cigar size wise, and needs a tenon cut into the clip end. It's been a while since I turned one. It's fairly ordinary.
Tom, if you like the 2 barrel slim pens then I would recommend that you either try a Streamline which gives you a bit more 'meat on the bone' or ditch the centre band of the Slimline, buy Streamline centre bands, or turn your own.

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
Might just be me BUT I have always found Slimline Pens to be the worst for making mistakes with.
They are so small and thin that the slightest error can show up big time and make a mess of the end result.

I know the kits are cheap and that's why most people get them, but in my experience none of my customers like them as getting refills are a major issue..

Try one of Phil's:
Aquilo ballpoint pen kit

Great kit, good size tube with plenty of material on the tube, standard ink refill and as a bonus they look great.

Give one a try Tom :thumbs:
I have two at present, got the blanks and tubes glued in and sanded on Thursday ready to go.
Went for covid and flu jabs yesterday. All right all day but woke up this morning with two sore arms, so just finished tidings up and sorting pen kits etc. And will see what I am like tomorrow....