• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Scroll saw arrived

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
My new Scroll saw arrived today and first impressions are I am very happy with it. Is a heavy beast so am going to try and clean up my workshop and make a stand for it. A foot switch arrived also today which I hope to use with the scroll saw so its out with the multimeter to see what happens when the switch is on have figured out I need to disable the NVR on the saw to get the foot switch to work.

IMG_2864.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
No Volt relays are interesting Bob a regulation over here makes them compulsory now and has been for school use always. Coordinating the use of a foot switch takes getting used to for the operator as well but on a scroll saw would aid the use of so much freeing up the hands to hold.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
No Volt relays are interesting Bob a regulation over here makes them compulsory now and has been for school use always. Coordinating the use of a foot switch takes getting used to for the operator as well but on a scroll saw would aid the use of so much freeing up the hands to hold.

Peter.

The freeing up of my hands is what I would like when scrolling Peter I have tried several scroll saws and am just a beginner and apart from making a house sign a few years ago would like to learn how to do the more intricate internal stuff and after watching some u tube scroll videos most of which are from the USA noticed that most of the scroll guys seem to use the Dewalt 788 which you just can not get in the UK. I noticed they can change blades and thread it through a hole in seconds and noticed there was a quick release on the 788 which facilitated this without having to retention the blade to the correct tension every time and knew I needed something like this. The Axminster is quick release and the arm lifts as well and it is so easy to change the blade or thread work onto the blade it is just as easy from the top or the bottom I believe these were traded under the Excalibur name until recently. Looking forward to the learning curve but first need to sort out my very untidy shed to try and make room for everything.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Nice bit of kit

Only as good as yer blades

Olsen reverse cut no5, as recommended to me by Don Watson ... never looked back

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Bob I gave Wilma several saws among them a Hegner she shunned most of them in favour of pinned blades in the flimsy Dremel saw the blade released by a hand squeeze, she made hundreds of cats in corners, hanging from doors etc even the special shed I made available one day she surrendered these all to me. I still have the Dremel (too many irons in the fire).

Now fast forward lots of years it is great to see real quick release saws such as yours, I understand where you are coming from.

Also if you kick on using a floor switch easy breezy mate thats all you will know. I used to marvel at SWMBO and her sewing machine and the foot control, there is no way you could operate most jewelers lathes without the foot control.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Nice bit of kit

Only as good as yer blades

Olsen reverse cut no5, as recommended to me by Don Watson ... never looked back

Thank you for the tip Brad the saw came with whatever blades they supply and they also put a packet of Pegas blades in the box as well about 30 in various sizes and types which was a pleasant surprise I also have a mixed pack of Flying Dutchman blades in the shed which I ordered from Mikes workshop earlier in the year. I will go and get some Olsen blades and give them a try as well and see how I get on with them you can not have too many blades:winking:

loftyhermes

First Name
Steve
Nice looking machine, is it the 16" one? As for blades I use Niqua which are available from several suppliers in the UK, Hegner, Hobbies and Original Marquetry to name three (and Niqua are believed to make the Flying Dutchman blades) There are also Pegas blades which seem to get good reviews though I've not used them.
happy scrolling
Steve

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Nice looking machine, is it the 16" one? As for blades I use Niqua which are available from several suppliers in the UK, Hegner, Hobbies and Original Marquetry to name three (and Niqua are believed to make the Flying Dutchman blades) There are also Pegas blades which seem to get good reviews though I've not used them.
happy scrolling
Steve

Hi Steve it is the Axminster Trade Series EX-16 I will try the Niqua as well had a quick search and they are reasonably priced.

cowboy

Registered
Hi all if your new to scrollsawing try Steve Goods site with lots of free patterns tips and tricks to get you going, also if you go to his site there you can download his plans and save them as PDF files, then when you open them in Inkscape you can modify the patterns as you like

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Thanks Bill I am still getting used to the saw and can see it will be a real asset. My first attempts where not very good tried to cut out circles there is a lot to learn about scrolling think I had the blade too loose. I have subscribed to Steve Goods u tube channel thanks to cowboy and subscribed to ScrollSawParadise and downloaded some test pasterns from him. He had a u tube clip about cleaning the blade with spirit and give the ends of the blade a rub with 120 which I have followed and have had no issue with the tension of the blade since also shows you how to tension the blade.

Scroll Saw Cutting for Beginners Pt-3 - YouTube

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).