• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Scroll Saw

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Paulm if you are determined to cut thick material I suggest a number 6 skip tooth blade. You really have to slow your feed rate and let the saw do the work. Change your blades often. Don't use them until they break. A dull blade won't follow well and you will start pushing. A dull blade also has a tendency to bow and your cut won't be verticle. When I started scrolling I didn't have a mentor and had to learn the hard way. If I sound pushy I apologize. I am very enthusiastic about scrolling and want others to succeed with the least amount t of pain.

Regards, Terry

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Paulm if you are determined to cut thick material I suggest a number 6 skip tooth blade. You really have to slow your feed rate and let the saw do the work. Change your blades often. Don't use them until they break. A dull blade won't follow well and you will start pushing. A dull blade also has a tendency to bow and your cut won't be verticle. When I started scrolling I didn't have a mentor and had to learn the hard way. If I sound pushy I apologize. I am very enthusiastic about scrolling and want others to succeed with the least amount t of pain.

Regards, Terry

Thanks Terry. That is very good advice and now that I've got some flying dutchman blades I'll try to calm myself down and do it properly with a bit thinner material. I did have Neil H showing me a bit of scrolling, making a deer and have buggered up several of those since but have also now made a Santa puzzle. Its not sanded yet and there are mistakes but I'm reasonably happy with it.

Its 175 high and 20mm thick

Attachments

• santa.jpg
    santa.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 24

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I would be very happy with that Paul, I can clearly see Rudolph's nose there init?

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Nice puzzle. Years ago my wife and I made something similar. They were Christmas ornaments 12 thick, 75 tall. Wood was Poplar. Drilled a hole lengthwise before sawing. We painted them. We made Santa, snowman, candy cane and Christmas tree. I will dig them out and post a picture.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).