• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Seen my good day now the bad part of it......

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
Tried a fourth acrylic and was nearly finished when part came away from the tube.
Completed a Sierra pen put it all together and when checking everything was OK. The top part unscrewed and is stuck in the top any ideas how to do it?????

Attachments

• 20230915_164158.jpg
    20230915_164158.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 18

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Been there got the T shirt.... I made a tool from a scrap Sierra kit to remove the twist mech.
Also it wouldn't hurt to paint the inside of the tube hole a complementry colour so when you go thin the tube won't grin through... Any acrylic paint and a Q tip will work..

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
I've had success using a haemostat to reach up inside the barrel and grab the edge of the part that's not supposed to be stuck up there.

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
Been there got the T shirt.... I made a tool from a scrap Sierra kit to remove the twist mech.
Also it wouldn't hurt to paint the inside of the tube hole a complementry colour so when you go thin the tube won't grin through... Any acrylic paint and a Q tip will work..
Is there any way that the clip end has went in crooked causing the jam.
I really like the Sierra is there anything similar to it but won't break the bank????

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Is there any way that the clip end has went in crooked causing the jam.
I really like the Sierra is there anything similar to it but won't break the bank????
I moved away from these to the Sirocco because too many customers were fiddling with these and 'oh it just came apart like that'... 'must be shoddy quality'... 'I found it like that'....
I did make a tool to remove the ink cap quickly but tbh lost faith and the Sirocco is far superior IMHO....

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Beaufort ink sells the Sirocco...
I turned/ ground the shoulder off a knackered Sierra kit so it could be pushed further into the upper tube, whilst twisting to engage with the thread...
Pm me an address and I'll pop you two in the post and some odds and sods blanks I have...

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
What is a HAEMOSTAT ??? as new to turning
It's not really a turning tool, originally only medics used them but they are very useful for this type of thing. They are like needle-nose pliers with a "lock closed" option. They come in versions that have straight jaws and angled jaws. (The US spelling is "hemostat", I check both spellings when I'm searching for them online.)

Screen Shot 2023-09-16 at 9.14.26 AM.png

Tom.1946

First Name
Tom
Beaufort ink sells the Sirocco...
I turned/ ground the shoulder off a knackered Sierra kit so it could be pushed further into the upper tube, whilst twisting to engage with the thread...
Pm me an address and I'll pop you two in the post and some odds and sods blanks I have...
1 Greenvale Park Lands
Antrim
BT41 1SL
Northern Ireland

But you should have my address. Also is the blank for the sirocco tube the same length as the Sierra I.e could take a cut Sierra and put it on a Sirocco???

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
It's not really a turning tool, originally only medics used them but they are very useful for this type of thing. They are like needle-nose pliers with a "lock closed" option. They come in versions that have straight jaws and angled jaws. (The US spelling is "hemostat", I check both spellings when I'm searching for them online.)

View attachment 50555
Ah locking forceps ! haemostat makes sense too now I think about it as common use for them !

thanks

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
Ah locking forceps ! haemostat makes sense too now I think about it as common use for them !

thanks
They are also useful for holding a piece of sandpaper if you want to sand inside a clear tube, or inside a hollowform where the neck is too small to safely use your fingers.

howsitwork?

Graduate Member
First Name
Ian
They are also useful for holding a piece of sandpaper if you want to sand inside a clear tube, or inside a hollowform where the neck is too small to safely use your fingers.
Totally agree but for heavens sake DONT grip with your fingers through the holes if using with power on.

Hold them in your palm and gently ! OK it’s unlikely but if they got a catch the resulting broken fingers would be painful to say the least. His warning was passed to me by a guy who knows

DuncSuss

First Name
Duncan
Totally agree but for heavens sake DONT grip with your fingers through the holes if using with power on.

Hold them in your palm and gently ! OK it’s unlikely but if they got a catch the resulting broken fingers would be painful to say the least. His warning was passed to me by a guy who knows
If I have the lathe turning, I don't poke my fingers in the neck of the hollowform - and I hold the haemostat/forceps by the stem, not the finger holes :whistling: