• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Segmented Jr Gent

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Hi guys,

When I made the GT Knurl I had an idea to make up a Jr Gent using the segmented blank that I left over from the knurl. I cut in half again this blank and turned these around and glue the two halves together, forming a chevron effect on one side and a checkered effect on the other.

They did not aline true all the way up the body. Probably as it did not cut true on the band saw. Next time, I will aline with the center, not the outside.

Then I made a bullet clamp to hold the top cap finial to dill out the black cabochon, this is just a piece of oak 20 x 20 square, with a hole drilled the same diameter as what you wish to clamp and then cut in half, through the hole lengthways. This clamp will hold in a vise, without any damage to the cap, to drill through the cabochon. The hole size I drilled in the oak for my cap was 11mm. This can be any size to suit any cap.

From the inside, I drilled through the cabochon with a 9/64th drill, then turned the cap upside down and drilled through from the outside with a 19/64th drill, following the small hole made previously, very slowly and carefully. Halfway through and the remainder of the old cabochon pulled out with the drill.

This I replaced this with a wooden cabochon turned to 10mm and fitted to suit from a piece sycamore. Waxed and polished to finish and glued in place in the cap with CA.

The cap ring, I made from the same piece of sycamore. This I turned and drilled with 11mm drill, the same size of the gold ring and polished as the main body. Cut off and sanded square, pushed onto the cap end with the last gold ring. The initials on the sycamore ring are from my name, done by my wife using a pyrography machine.

C&C welcome.

Kelvin

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
This makes you A Kelvinator with a pen. A mighty fine pen you can,t lose, can use. Kelvin you lost me in the method mate but impressed I am.

Peter.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Looks great and the misalignment doesn't seem to show . When I need to change the cab on a Gent I just tap them out from the inside with a transfer punch .

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Kelvin, that is a really nice pen mate.

Sod the misalignment thing, you know it's there and look to get around it next time.

We are our own worse critics at times, but don't kick yourself too hard as it looks superb and like the CB and cap as well.

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
Great idea and a nice try...thats what maters....i would not be unhappy with that pen.....the next will be better:thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).