• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Serpentine blank. How I do it.

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
I've only just come across this thread Terry, very useful, thanks for sharing :thumbs:

It's about time I put my new scroll saw to good use, i've only had it about 4 months and never used it :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Terry, after seeing your pens on the WOW site I had to investigate further and found this pen turners site which by the way I like very much. Your pictures are worth a thousand words and I want to give this a try.
Great job on the pens and congrats on making the WOW cover.

Welcome Bob from over here.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Terry you sure stirred them up and rightly so mate superb help and making mate, good outlet wish you all the extra success and good health mate.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Terry I am amazed how well your producing these days you competency with the process is smooth and professional, thanks for sharing mate.

Peter.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
hah Alan as soon as I saw the irn-bru my eyes went straight to where you live! Funnily enough, having seen an American guy on utube doing similar with coke cans, That was to be my next project. I will have to pinch my wifes coke cans. We, you and I could use girders! What adhesive did you use?

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Hi Terry,
- many years ago I made a scroll saw, I called it a jigsaw. I used the up and down mechanism from an old knackered hand sewing machine. Powered by a washing machine motor I used it to fret out Welsh loving spoons. I also made a few gypsy caravan models so I used it for them also. I had a woodscrew fitted so used it as a chuck to turn the wheels.
Now not long after I bought a scroll saw and it has been sitting unused. Now Terry has inspired me to do some pens like his. So my idea about not getting rid of tools you don't use has paid off.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The sure fire way of needing a tool that you haven't used for years is to get rid of it.

Peter

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
At first blush from the glue up I thought all those clamps then why not spring clips then I rememberd a bulk buy for quilting by Wilma so many years ago of those small clamps and how easy to judge just the right pressure in clamping they have been valuable to me she gave them to me in later years. Using Exotic is proof positive of your prowess mate he only handles quality product.

Peter.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
I tried my scroll saw but having used zebra wood I found it hard going, so switched to a bandsaw with a narrow blade, things went quicker then. So Marco probably bepends on the hardness of the wood, or the quality of your scroll saw, mine is not an expensive one.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).