• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Serpentine thin blue line

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Didn't want to hijack Coll's post so started a new one. These blanks have been made for a couple months but didn't turn them until today. I have another dozen to finish. One is Hickory and the other Maple. Both with blue dyed poplar veneer.

Attachments

• 20170209_161526.jpg
    20170209_161526.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20170209_161536.jpg
    20170209_161536.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20170209_161544.jpg
    20170209_161544.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20170209_161557.jpg
    20170209_161557.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 79

Midnight_Turner

Registered
First Name
Miles
Didn't want to hijack Coll's post so started a new one. These blanks have been made for a couple months but didn't turn them until today. I have another dozen to finish. One is Hickory and the other Maple. Both with blue dyed poplar veneer.

So how did you make those blanks up then? They are beautiful by the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Yes wonderful Terry, have tried your idea but with coke can aluminium. Want to try copper on some dark wood, I have one ebony blank. Just been given a pack of assorted veneers, some dyed. I did get the sheet plastic to try also. Woody put me onto that.

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Looks fantastic.. love these blanks.. and a cracking job done..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Midnight_Turner

Registered
First Name
Miles
Yes wonderful Terry, have tried your idea but with coke can aluminium. Want to try copper on some dark wood, I have one ebony blank. Just been given a pack of assorted veneers, some dyed. I did get the sheet plastic to try also. Woody put me onto that.

Hi Bill, where did you get those assorted veneers from? Like you I'm having a play with cans of Stella to see what I can do, but would like to play with veneers if I can get a chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Hi Miles, not much help to you with the veneers, my son gave me them, he has not got a clue where they came from. Bodies at Borough bridge used to stock them. Marquetry suppliers would be the place. Woody put me on to thee coloured plastics, they look very good, come in all colours and thicknesses.
Yes I used coke cans, two twisty cuts on each side of the blank. I glued after each cut and insertion, leave overnight, cut again after trueing up, and repeat on the same side crossing the first cut, then go through the whole procedure until you have four strips of aluminium, veneer or plastic, exactly as Terry has said.
I also made some pens with dowels of a different coloured wood glued through the blank. In my case ramin through mahogany, good effect there. Saw that on u tube.

Mr Finch

First Name
Coll
I noticed the other day that Turners Retreat do pre-dyed veneers in various colours. I also found some on ebay when I was looking for the same purpose.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).