• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

webby962

First Name
Adie
Heating the resin increases the viscocity therefore the bubbles come to the surface easier.

:thinks:

I'm fairly sure it does the opposite, and reduces the viscosity, thus reducing the resistance to flow, allowing the bubbles to rise quicker.
Also, dissolved gases are expelled from warmer liquids quicker than colder liquids (one of the reasons tonic water fizzes for longer in a gin with lots of ice in it, rather than a gin at room temperature, which degasses very quickly.)

Unless all my experiments with Gin have been wasted! :drool:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Thanks Paul, we are near Leyburn. Still confused about the thread on the resins. Melanie seems well clued up, I just cannot get my old head around what does what, or how! Cannot afford vacuum chambers or pressure pots though. Woody seems to manage without? :thinks:

This is a good article by Kurt Hertzog that explains the different types of resins: http://kurthertzog.com/articles/wt_275_64_69_how_to_do_thattfmbJR.pdf

If you are just doing the occasional casting the methods suggested by Brad are good enough to get rid of any bubbles in the casting.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
:thinks:

I'm fairly sure it does the opposite, and reduces the viscosity, thus reducing the resistance to flow, allowing the bubbles to rise quicker.
Also, dissolved gases are expelled from warmer liquids quicker than colder liquids (one of the reasons tonic water fizzes for longer in a gin with lots of ice in it, rather than a gin at room temperature, which degasses very quickly.)

Unless all my experiments with Gin have been wasted! :drool:

My thickness know no bounds :rolling:

I knew when i typed that it was wrong ... doh .... :funny::funny::funny:

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Thanks Walter, cannot enlarge the article enough to read it properly, need new glasses. IS that in the woodturner magazine, if so I must have it. There was an excellent thing by you using a pressure cooker, I have a spare one of those but then your other bits to complete the job baffled me, moneywise if nothing else. Thanks again. Bill.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark

Bucks

Fellow
First Name
Paul
I found that the light Pink coloured moulds were not the same quality as the darker Pink ones .. I found that if you got the resin mix slightly wrong or that the temperature was to low the resin left a damp remnant that i found difficult to remove rendering the mould useless ..

Thanks for sharing your experience on the difference between the two Jim,
With all the research we've been doing on the two different silicones that makes sense!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).