• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

SIP Equipment

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have had a hunt round about the quality of SIP machines and can't find much negative about them. Is SIP a quality product, a cheap chinese import or are they rated?

Regards
Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Never had a sip machine but I have just purchased a new dust extractor made by sip and it is very good plenty of suction and quieter than record sip also make industrial machines for the trade

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
They're imports Peter and many of the machines are available elsewhere in different livery as far as I know.
The only one I own is the cast iron 10" table saw which I've had for a number of years but it's a decent bit of kit.

Bob

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
SIP is actually a cheap Chinese import, for the main part, but with a difference.
A lot of the stuff is generic, then "badged" You will find some machines, the same, under Draper, Charnwood, and Fox logo's
The new Warco 16" bandsaw, is identical to the new SIP one.
The difference being World of power, the UK distributor.
My first lathe was an SIP, and when it developed a fault, they sent the part FOC.
My pen lathe is still an SIP, when it developed a fault 6 years after purchase, they sent the part at reduced price because they recognised the problem.
My chip extractor is also SIP and have never had a problem, and my old Thicknesser only had to go after 10 years use, because the replaceable, non sharpenable blades went out of production

Jim

Grand Master
Like Terry says, i have the dust extractor and had good service for the past 5 years with it .. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thank you everyone, it sounds like SIP is worth a punt. They do a 50Litre vertical compressor they also do a 25litre for not much money less than the 50L, the main thing for me is that I have place to house the vertical compressor, but not a 50litre horizontal comp. although I could hose a 25l horizontal comp.

I have read that the tank is Chinese, but the rest is made in Italy, but I don't know the truth of that.

Thanks again for your input.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have found it at £140 inc delivery, but without the extras, just the airline alone will cost more than the difference. Just looked at the membership cost of £24 and that shoves it up too far as the only accessory I really want is an airline. Mind you it's cheaper if I pay a 5% premium if not a member.

Thanks for the info.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Peter don't buy airline just yet Neil has a whole reel of mine I'll ask him to chop a lump off How much do you need I have some quick link couplers depending on which type you have that'l be al you need to buy if different to mine.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
So, the SIP is that same as Warco..... Oh dear, Neil (not Neil L) said it's not worth bothering with the Warco machines,, maybe I made a mistake..

Nowt wrong with the Warco metal lathe I bought - I think Walter's aversion is to their wood lathes specifically. They are very metal-orientated.

I have the SIP belt/disc sander which is mechanically sound but very poorly designed. Used to have a SIP compressor (bro-in-law still has it) and it did exactly what it said on the tin.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I have found it at £140 inc delivery, but without the extras, just the airline alone will cost more than the difference. Just looked at the membership cost of £24 and that shoves it up too far as the only accessory I really want is an airline. Mind you it's cheaper if I pay a 5% premium if not a member.

Thanks for the info.

Peter

If you decided you wanted it Peter, I could get it on my card and it would be delivered to you

naxie

Registered
I have a SIP P/T that seems solid enough.

If its any help I recently replaced my SIP 6 litre compressor with the 25 litre one from Lidl. It's footprint is almost the same and it seems to be well built and fairly quiet. I think it was £80 or £90, with a three year warranty.

My dad now has the SIP which is still going strong.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Peter don't buy airline just yet Neil has a whole reel of mine I'll ask him to chop a lump off How much do you need I have some quick link couplers depending on which type you have that'l be al you need to buy if different to mine.

That's very decent of you Brian, I have seen the coiled 5m type for between £5 and £10. I have no idea the size/type of fittings so I am taking the pressure pot lid into Issac Lords to get a quick release valve of the right size.

If you decided you wanted it Peter, I could get it on my card and it would be delivered to you

That is extremely generous of you. Thank you.

I have a SIP P/T that seems solid enough.

If its any help I recently replaced my SIP 6 litre compressor with the 25 litre one from Lidl. It's footprint is almost the same and it seems to be well built and fairly quiet. I think it was £80 or £90, with a three year warranty.

My dad now has the SIP which is still going strong.

The Lidl compressor was only a few weeks ago, but I missed it, I have seen 25litre compressors on ebay for about £75 but they are no name and may be okay, but I am not sure if a 25litre compressor is good enough for this massive pressure pot.

I am impressed that nobody had a bad word to say about SIP gear, it gives a warm feeling that it will probably be okay:thumbs:

Peter

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
I have had a SIP lathe with 36 inch long bed for about 8 years it has been well used and as yet it has not had anything go wrong with it, the only things I have bought for it is a couple of chucks. I have turned some fairly big lumps of wood on it and as I said it has served me really well.

Robin

dougie001

Apprentice Member
First Name
douglas
Sip

Can you tell me were I can get a good quality band saw for my 14" band saw S I P

Last edited:

dougie001

Apprentice Member
First Name
douglas
Sip

Sorry can you tell me how to return to my last posting so i can add something ie 14" S I P band saw I noticed edit we live and learn

Last edited: