• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Slight accident with a Mistral

Chillicamper

Registered
First Name
David
I thought I'd treat myself and try out a the Mistral kit

I have to say it's a high end kit, beautifully smooth to put together.

The wood is FiddlebackTasmanian Blackwood. Whilst turning it became evident that there was a fault in the wood - drilling it has seems to hit a softer spot, but I'd not been able to see any obvious issue before gluing the tube.

However the fault turned out to be a section of bark (like you find in a burl) or maybe a small rotten knot? Basically I'd virtually got it down to sanding size and there was a section that seems paper thin and flexed lightly/ There was no point leaving it to break through when I sanded it, so I carefully excavated out the area of the darker soft and crumbly section and was let with a bigish hole going through to the tube.

So after a bit of swearing and head scratching I sanded it back and filled it with brass dust and CA glue.

It's a good job that it's a pen meant for me, but it saved the pen from being scrapped and I think it looks quite funky.

The pen is fitted with a Bock nib and I love how it writes.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
You could have got away without mentioning it's a save David - it looks like it's meant to be. Nicely done. Glad you like the kit too

pittswood

Fellow
First Name
Kelvin
Its happened to all of us in the past, but you have been able to save a great looking pen. Next time, put a few more patches scattered around. Start a new trend.
Well done mate.
Kelvin

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
You can get over that with the Liberon shellac filler sticks http://www.liberon.co.uk/gallery_files/site/2136/7731/7746/7757/16521.pdf

Basically when you get a void, turn it to the top, get a small blowlamp like they use in baking, heat the stick so as it drips into the void (if you want it to look like a burl then drip several shades and stir roughly) build it up to higher than the rest (I use an old 10cm steel rule heated up to very hot to smooth it into the void) wait for it to set 10 minutes for a thick bit then turn and sand it. (if you use a mop polishing system don't use the Tripoli on it just the white diamond and only half the pressure of the wood).

Health warning make sure that the flame doesn't get near the shavings, I know its obvious.... it was to me:rolling:

PG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).