• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Slimline with a twist

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Very interesting doc, I like the look of these kits, it's about time we had a decent kit come on the market.
I do not like the look of that belt, the shoes and hat are fine but the belt definitely has to go and be replaced with something more fitting this one is more like a girdle init?
You did a great though, lovely finish as always from you lately.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks Brian, I know exactly what you mean about the belt and I was tempted to make a different one but as this is the first go with this kit I left it as it is. Unfortunately, being a larger diameter mechanism, the centre band from a streamline doesn't fit but I'm sure we'll get there in the long run.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Understand your reasoning for leaving it default but the belt is the one thing I would change when I get these kits.
Drill through a foreign coin or use a washer, anything but that init?

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Understand your reasoning for leaving it default but the belt is the one thing I would change when I get these kits.
Drill through a foreign coin or use a washer, anything but that init?

I won't use it any more but for this one, the first its a virgin. :funny:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks Brian, I know exactly what you mean about the belt and I was tempted to make a different one but as this is the first go with this kit I left it as it is. Unfortunately, being a larger diameter mechanism, the centre band from a streamline doesn't fit but I'm sure we'll get there in the long run.

Is there enough meat on the streamline band to drill out the centre?

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Is there enough meat on the streamline band to drill out the centre?

Peter

Yes it could be drilled out but for this one, I want it to be as designed... just for this one and this one only. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Yes it could be drilled out but for this one, I want it to be as designed... just for this one and this one only. :thumbs:

Yes, I can understand that, but I haven't received mine yet so didn't know the diameter. When I get them I will drill out one to see if it's okay and if the plating will stay on.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I would like to try these kits as expressed in his intro of them but the lack of details and having to wait for him to stock has kinda put me off a bit.
Wet my tongue and left me dry I think, hey ho someone else will have some soon.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I'm not sure if the ones offered by someone a few days ago are the same as this one. The bushes for mine need a 5mm mandrel and he said his fitted on a normal one so I would offer some but the bushes and mandrel would be a problem. I could order some more with bushes and mandrel if anyone is interested, I've just priced it up and for a 2mt mandrel, the bushes and 20 pen kits (say 10 gold and 10 silver) would be around £40. It might be a few pounds more depending on what the import duty is but I've added some already so it shouldn't be too much more and it might even be a bit less but I doubt it.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It would take about 2 weeks to get though.
As I say someone will get some in soon I have no doubt, he was a bit sparse with his info and didn't follow up to well I thought.
Oh well it's his sales that will suffer not mine.
I wouldn't need bushes or mandrel to turn one of these, I am quite capable of making my own should I decide they are something I would repeat often.
For a one off I would turn between centres and use callipers.
I am interested to see them and happy to try a new kit, it does look like it may be an improvement but in no hurry to do so and certainly not prepared to make a big investment in them.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).