• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Small bowl

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
9" bowl from a lovely Oak blank which Vic gave me when I met him last week.

I've not turned many bowls, so I kept it simple and finished it with melamine.

I don't know about you folks, but I really enjoy turning stuff when I know who is receiving it. It feels so very personal and "connected". This is a gift for my wife's birthday - hope she likes it :pray:
IMG_1966.jpg

Base detail
IMG_1969.jpg

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Opportunity knocks with this special gift for your wife Graham its a ripper and stands out from the crowd, delicate turning and terrific design.

Peter.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Another nice bowl however I think the foot could have been a little tidier. Yes I agree about the enjoyment of making then giving even better if they really enjoy your latest masterpiece.

Graham_C

Fellow
First Name
Graham
Another nice bowl however I think the foot could have been a little tidier.

Thanks Derek, I wonder if you could expand on how I might make the feet tidier in future? Being new to bowls (this is my second) it would be nice to understand how I might improve the quality.
:thumbs:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
9" bowl from a lovely Oak blank which Vic gave me when I met him last week.

I've not turned many bowls, so I kept it simple and finished it with melamine.

I don't know about you folks, but I really enjoy turning stuff when I know who is receiving it. It feels so very personal and "connected". This is a gift for my wife's birthday - hope she likes it :pray:

I'm sure she'll love it. Good crisp lines and a great form.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thanks Derek, I wonder if you could expand on how I might make the feet tidier in future? Being new to bowls (this is my second) it would be nice to understand how I might improve the quality.
:thumbs:

There are two or three things you could have done which depend on how comfortable you are at reverse turning. But for the moment lets start what can improve the look when you turn the foot.
Instead of making the deep V cut which I think distracts the eye too much make that a simple single or double score line which you could burn or leave plain.
The other thing is round them over more so they look more like bead shaped and take the very sharp corners off of the foot.
If you can reverse the bowl then you could remove some more of the centre section to make the foot support thinner say the width of one of the beads.
Again if happy with reverse turning us a tennon and when complete reverse turn and remove the chucking point tenon completely.
I hope some of that makes sense

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).