• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sneezewood Vertex Rollerball with Gun Metal Plating By Heartwoodturning

Heartwoodturning

Apprentice Member
First Name
Chris
sneezwoodvertexrollerballniboncap.jpg
Sneezewoodvertexrollerballbarrel.jpg
sneezewoodvertexrollerballwithlidon.jpg

I make pens everyday. I enjoy it so much it is my full time job now as well as my hobby. Every so often I make one which I fall in love with. I gave this one to Graham who owns one of the shops who stocks my work.

This is my third completed Vertex rollerball pen. I made the other two out of Welsh Cherry and English Walnut.

I am not very good at taking photo's and the light in and around my house is bad so you will have to forgive any picture quality issues.

I really like the way the gun metal plating goes with the colour of the Sneezewood. Sneezewood is my favourite wood to work. It is the colour of gold and is very user friendly. It can have a hologram like effect when the light is catching it. It is nearly impossible to source in the uk. I look on the internet most days trying to find more. If anybody has any for sale please pm me as I am beginning to get very low on stock.

The clue is in the name with this wood. If you work it on a lathe without a mask you start to sneeze. After this your nose starts to produce an impossible amount of mucus and the sneezing gets worse. Then your eyes start to run and you look like you have been crying. Some people get a headache after this stage. I tried it one time because I did not believe the stories. Once was enough, all the above happened to me apart from the headache.
This is one of my favourite pens I have ever made.

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
Nice work, I like the Vertex but don't fancy any of that wood ...

Thank god there isn't such a thing as Runswood ... :funny:

Jim

Grand Master
It is a good looking pen Chris, and thanks for the heads up regarding the wood .. :winking:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
What a masochist Cris I have heard read used challenging wood a mate of mine if he gets near Camphor Laurel his nose bleeds flat out so one mans probs may not be anothers but lining up to one species can lead to lifetime allergies. on the ends the rolls or whatever the timber reminds me of Tasmanian timber with that fleck in it alround it makes as you have a beaut pen.

At our recent Wood Working Show I said one demonstrator from Sydney who works for the company I just bought a rare Orange Boxwood piece he confided he goes hysteric if he touches this timber.

I too like Vertex.

Peter.

Heartwoodturning

Apprentice Member
First Name
Chris
Nice work, I like the Vertex but don't fancy any of that wood ...

Thank god there isn't such a thing as Runswood ... :funny:

:funny:

If you cook over a Tambootie fire I guarantee you will, for the rest of your life, regard it as Runswood. It makes your tummy really very bad indeed! I would like to point out I have not tried this!

I am very tempted to use my only blank of Stinkwood this week. It smells awful when you turn it apparently! The blank smells really bad. I imagine it's going to be like turning smelly bogwood on steroids. I'll wear my mask. I'm sure I'll be fine right up to the moment I take it off and have to leave the workshop disgusted.

It's quite thin if my memory serves me right so it will end up dressing a slimline kit. If I make it I'll post it on the forum.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).