• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

So frustrating

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
A customer asked me for a pen using a dark blue glitter blank. So I scoured the usual sourses and ordered two blanks advertised as dark blue gliter blanks.
I turned one they are definatelly not blue I wasted half a day and the result of my labour ended up in the bin along with the second blank.
This order is a urgent job.
I have learnt a lesson if you want blanks buy them from blank maker not off a shop that advertiss blanks for sale.
I promised this guy I would make him the pen. I will do it but I am well out of pocket for this one.

ValleyBoy

Graduate Member
First Name
Ash
Thats interesting. I never buy blanks from blank makers but always from a shop. Simply because I much prefer the factory quality acrylics that they sell compared to the two-part urethane/epoxy type of blanks that are made by individuals.

Have you tried the stardust glitter kirinite acrylics? Beaufort stock them and there is a blue option. They’re one of my best sellers and this is how the blanks look when finished.
Cheers
Ash
IMG_8229.jpeg

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Those glitter blanks can get quite translucent when turned thin Dave, and the tube can easily show through. Did you paint the inside of the drill hole? That would have preserved the blueness.

alpha1

Fellow
First Name
Dave
Those glitter blanks can get quite translucent when turned thin Dave, and the tube can easily show through. Did you paint the inside of the drill hole? That would have preserved the blueness.
I turned the red one and it was fine it sold the next day. I was asked to make a blue one but he wanted a different kit. The kit I used was a lot thinner and yes you are probably right you could see the tube and it definitely did not look blue. Never thought to paint the tube not some thing I have ever done before. My fault I guess. I was just frustrated at the end of the day. He still doesn't have his pen and I have probably missed the dead line. Its all a learning curve.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
Painting the inside of the drill hole is often better than painting the tube Dave, as painting the hole will also hide the glue whereas painting the tube won't. It's a routine thing for me when I turn any sort of acrylic, as you never know how translucent it's going to end up

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
In future why not polish a little of the blank before making the pen? It would give some idea of the finished product.
What I do is turn a blank - wood or plastic between centres before doing anything else with it. You can see straight away what the finished article is likely to look like. Drilling the blank is also easily done on the lathe in this state.