• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Some observations.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Over time I have accumulated heaps of kits other than Slimlines, mostly favouring the Slims.

My Ideal bush for turning and I make and modify them by stepping the shoulder next to the blank I then have a reference to the finished sizing, clearance to finish turn the blank and not the bush, also when applying the finish no adhesion to the bush at all. I do caliper the ends of all blanks. Not ever being or wanting to be a production turner this suits me very well.

What an encumbrance a steel or metal shoulder is to a fine edge on a chisel. Also sandpaper chews them about no end.

A pain is the need for sleeves for so many tube sizes to square the blanks as well.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Mark I just finished turning a pen using these two sets of bushes using spare duplicates that I turned to fit the brass tubes LHS Bottom half of the pen RHS Cap section.

The LH Pair were OK as they were on the lower section because the shoulders are below the finished height.

The RHS the black is the finished height so I cut the shoulders of these two bushes, thats enough so the chisel finish is above the shoulder. Then always calipered blank to fit precisely.

There is no carry over if I am carefull with the finish this way.

Normally I would step further back on the RH ones but they are stumpy bushes anyway. I will show the pen in a couple of days.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 24
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).