• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

sorby proedge system

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
Best grinds, angles, sharp tools and repeatable every time with the proedge. Jigs for me are a must have, my turning days are few and far between and i do not have the skills to freehand.

Gizmo3k

Graduate Member
First Name
Alan
You can have mine - when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

Awesome bit of kit, yes you can make your own cheaper, but I am not that mechanically inclined. I love mine!

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
I converted a Record Power BDS250 for tool sharpening, among other things, and it works well with a few jigs.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Pro edge arrived Friday what a great little machine. :banana::banana:
Many thanks to all who put in their two penneth on this subject.

Enjoy it.

When it comes to belts though you should shop around as prices vary. There are also companies who make them up in proedge size and can be much cheaper, especially if you're buying a few.

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Thank you guys, you have convinced me to buy one.
There's a new one on Ebay with a couple of jigs included for £269.
I always sharpen my bevel edged chisels on a belt sander anyway. :thumbs:

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil

fortress

Registered
First Name
John
Hi James,
I did buy the deluxe version, and it is excellent, if you get the deluxe you get three jigs with it.
Although it cost £328, it is worth it. Everybody who owns one sings it's praises, that's what swayed me, that and YouTube reviews. If your still thinking James, stop, do it. :thumbs::thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
For the amount of different chisels that I use for making pens which isn't many I have stuck to Woodys advice ( before he got his pro edge ) and learned to sharpen free hand , seems to work OK for me. It takes only seconds to set up my sharpening system on the lathe and sharpening takes only just as long as the setting up.

PetrolP

First Name
Peter
I bought one of these last week
It is far better made than I thought it would be
Very robust and solid, well designed and constructed
A pleasure to use producing consistent, sharp edges

Just get one, you won't regret it!!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).