• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sorby Steb Centre or PSI Crown drive

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Here's my one I have owned it for gods knows how long dunno what make don't care it's crap.
I really mean that it is real crap, a total utter waste of money, really the worst single tool I have ever purchased.
It needs a clutch, the moment it's touched it stops turning, In fact I will weld the bloody thing up so I can use it.
I couldn't even give it away it's that bad.
It really does spin so freely its like trying to turn between two live centres a real pile absolute POOH if you buy one don't get one of these.

That looks like the very small Sorby Steb center Brian & whilst I have never used that one I can quite imagine it would be off little use on anything but the smallest timber blanks & they would need to be dry.
That said if you want £20 for it save it for the next time we meet up & I`ll happily take it off your hands :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Doug it's a 3/4 inch or there about and yes I'll hold on to it till we meet again no worries.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Here's my one I have owned it for gods knows how long dunno what make don't care it's crap.
I really mean that it is real crap, a total utter waste of money, really the worst single tool I have ever purchased.
It needs a clutch, the moment it's touched it stops turning, In fact I will weld the bloody thing up so I can use it.
I couldn't even give it away it's that bad.
It really does spin so freely its like trying to turn between two live centres a real pile absolute POOH if you buy one don't get one of these.

Are you sure it's not one of the live centre stebs? What is it that spins?

Peter

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I think I will buy a cone centre at least I know they work LOL and they are the same price for a dead centre and a revolving centre from Axminster :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
It has a bearing on the back between the Morse taper and out casing and I wondered the same so checked with those at Turners retreat and John Davis all sold as drive stebs.it's the same as them unfortunately.
I distinctly remember being so impressed with the advert when I was a beginner that I had to have one, soon realised it was a mistake.
Trying to find the ad now I am sure I have seen it recently will post if I do.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have found that I can make most jam chucks and centres I ever need out of wood anyway.
I have made many for the things I regularly turn some with tapers to fit directly into my headstock and some to fit around my live centre.
Got the idea from this vid init? It may give you some ideas for turning your own as I do, sure is cheaper and got some long lasting tools from it out of some hardwood.

OOh Look I have gone pink!!!

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It has a bearing on the back between the Morse taper and out casing and I wondered the same so checked with those at Turners retreat and John Davis all sold as drive stebs.it's the same as them unfortunately.
I distinctly remember being so impressed with the advert when I was a beginner that I had to have one, soon realised it was a mistake.
Trying to find the ad now I am sure I have seen it recently will post if I do.

If it has a bearing then it is a live centre for the tailstock, Sorby does a dead and a live steb centre, if it spins it has to be the live one.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I think I will buy a cone centre at least I know they work LOL and they are the same price for a dead centre and a revolving centre from Axminster :thumbs:

The cone centres do tend to slip a lot, certainly compared with a steb centre.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Aha Looks like I was using it wrongly but I was a beginner in all fairness and never used it since.
It is the revolving centre I have This one having looked again at it I see where I was going wrong.
It is designed to go at either end, revolving in the tailstock or clamped in a chuck at the headstock would stop it from turning.
That is clear to me now but not the way I saw it demonstrated.
On this revelation I may be prepared to give it another try.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Aha Looks like I was using it wrongly but I was a beginner in all fairness and never used it since.
It is the revolving centre I have This one having looked again at it I see where I was going wrong.
It is designed to go at either end, revolving in the tailstock or clamped in a chuck at the headstock would stop it from turning.
That is clear to me now but not the way I saw it demonstrated.
On this revelation I may be prepared to give it another try.

Well worth giving it a try, especially if you do anything off centre. No wonder you didn't like it much. I taped up a live centre once so that I could use it in the headstock as I didn't have a dead centre, it worked okay, except when I put too much pressure on the cut and the tape came loose.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The damn thing was sold as a drive centre that would give if you got snagged designed to do this apparently.
I kept trying to tighten what I thought would be a screw inside thinking it was maladjusted and just needed a bit of sorting, gave up yonks ago.
Never even looked at it again until this thread so thanks for posting and the education I have given myself by getting it out and looking at it.
Shed time tomorrow Yippee lets see what comes out at the end of day all fun spinning too no work for the moment init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Terry another one for the plonker club go on I dare you tell him bloody plonker there I did it for you :funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
The damn thing was sold as a drive centre that would give if you got snagged designed to do this apparently.
I kept trying to tighten what I thought would be a screw inside thinking it was maladjusted and just needed a bit of sorting, gave up yonks ago.
Never even looked at it again until this thread so thanks for posting and the education I have given myself by getting it out and looking at it.
Shed time tomorrow Yippee lets see what comes out at the end of day all fun spinning too no work for the moment init?

The screw is for the pointy centre. I think you will like it, it can still stop if you get a real dig in.

Peter

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Blimey cant remember the last time I had a real dig in.
Sharp chisel plenty of grunt cut the wood in half without digging in init?
Probably why I never used the steb.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
:whistling:Hang on...you didn't use it because it spins:whistling:

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I had 10 minutes to spare and tried the PSI crown centre. I mounted a 4" dia. dry log of yew, I used a roughing gouge and really gave it some welly and it didn't slip or spin once, so I am pleased with it. It was really well seated in the log, I just may start using this as the main drive.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
They are so easy to use with no hammering in, I certainly found it quickly became my "go to" drive.

Yes I can understand why, it is a very positive drive, I will have to think about getting a smaller one as well.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).