• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Squaring blanks

Natator

First Name
Simon
I was using my drill press and a pen mill. Worked ok but I did sometimes found I'd chewed into the metal barrel unknowingly.

Next I built myself a jig, using a drill chuck to hold the appropriate pen disassembly rod, for my bench sander. No luck with that at all, things were visibly off square, which naturally I blamed on my cheap sander.

So, onward, upward and sideways a bit ...

Lighting in my workshop is not nearly good enough, which I suspect is something many of us battle. I cought a cheap LED light, clipped that to my drill stand, and found it far easier to spot when I'd reached the metal. Great, far better than it was but still not great.

Last week, as it happens, I had another go with that jig I'd put together. I'd also changed the very course sand paper that came on it (I'd say 80 grit but might have been even rougher). That gave me more time, as it were, to carefully sand. I found the trick was, and don't ask me why I didn't do this the first time, to keep turning the blank around on the rod. By "keep" I mean constantly turn it.

I'm finally happy with the results I'm getting.

Frederick

Registered
First Name
Frederick
I am no expert but the method I use, and it seems to suit me well, is as follows:-

I roughly square the blank and leave the tube inside with the blank protruding a few millimetres. I then place it on the lathe useing bushes if possible and turn it to a cylinder. This makes sure that the tube sits parallel within the blank and the sides are straight.

I then sand the ends on a bench sander making sure that the blank is perfectly square to the disc. I then sand in the usual way until the brass ends of the tube are level with the ends of the blanks.
I then return the blank to the lathe and turn as normal.

It works for me but I would imagine there are other methods. I don't like barrel trimmers, nothing wrong with them, I just don't like sharpening them all the time.

Cheers,
Frederick

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
All the discussion over a lifetime will not compensate for bad techniques in the most basic need in penmaking. These are the preparation of the blank including square ends,repeatable accurate drilling methods. Preparation ,Preparation is a bit like Location ,Location in Real Estate a need to be taken into consideration.Very basic approaches both simplify and speed up the process providing time to design and emphasise features provided by nature.Then finally that oft neglected pic skill to everytime portray our pens in at least a basic way to share on this medium and other formats.I weary of comments re cost of drills,timber,comfort. Amortise this hobby and good practices,repeatable methods win the day. Even doddering old blokes can do it.Its not what you do its what you do with it

Peter.:goesred::thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).