• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Stabilising 'crap' timber.

Jim

Grand Master
I would be interested in the solution, but not in the equipment used in the video .. I have some nice pieces of wood that i would hate to throw away if i had the chance to bring them back to life .. :ciggrin:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Following this has been very informative and useful discussion of methodology, practical solutions, how to impregnate timber with resins. For years now the expert el supremo IMHO in this field has been Turn Tex in the USA he has detailed his experiences offering sage advice on containers and pumps to this day when he makes and markets his product many tanks for the original article and the reference video on Stick Fast Resin. He is found in Library articles on the IAP in USA and his own web site.I used to mumble at the prices for stabilized blanks but not anymore, regarding it as small change located so far from the source of the resins etc. I have a vacuum system that I use a simple home vac located under the lathe that holds firmly and safely so once again vac systems vary greatly according to need.

THanks Peter.:thanxs:

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
I've been reading this with interest. It seems that the kit is way too expensive for most of us and would need to be justified by the amount of use it would get.
If like Paul you use a lot of wood which needs stabilising then it may well be worth the investment. You would have to calculate the cost per blank over a two year period to cover capital expense (equipment) and material cost (resin etc) and see if it was worth the expense :thinks:
Out of interest how many blanks (roughly) would a gallon of resin do? :nooidea:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Used to impregnate wood at work with Magnesium Chloride, only had one pump on the vacuum chamber but boy could it suck! Used to open the lid of the chamber and connect the rails and wheel in the timber on bogies, chamber was about two metre diameter and around 4 metres long. Sucked liked mad for about twenty minutes, flooded it and left it for half an hour and then presurised it momntarily and then vacuumed again, job done, about forty minutes.

I have a special chamber for wood that needs stabilising in my lounge, I open the door, stuff it in. In the morning job done, pile of ash, guaranteed failure every time.

Came across a commercial stabilising opeeration for small sections of weood in the uk but cant find them anymore. Got to be cheaper and easier than diy?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).